Question About Chalk As Petal Dust

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm by kathyw

fruitsnack Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 9

I've read several threads on here about how you can use crushed chalk / pastels as petal dust. I bought a 36 set of Artist's Loft soft pastels last week and tried to use them today. I can't seem to get them to work properly. I tried with a cornflower blue color, and when it was dry, you could barely see it. I tried to mix it with some water, and the chalk just chunked up and left chunks of chalk on what I was dusting. Is there a trick to this?

8 replies
genevieveyum Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't had good luck with this either.

icer101 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 9

I learned this from scott woolley's dvd's . He teaches with them. You grind them up really fine. I use an electric nut grinder or so. I use it only for this. I have all names of dust also. But i teach g/p flower at times. and i use this method . It works great. I don,t just use a brush from the pallette of colors. I grind them up. hth

fruitsnack Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 9

I thought I had them ground fine enough. I rubbed them against a strainer and then ran my brush through the dust. I don't know how I could get it any finer.

superstar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

I use an Exacto knife to scrape the chalks I get a really fine powder & it works perfectly.

Chellescakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 9

blend them on a tissue with a little cornflour before you apply them this makes the colour go on much easier and you can control the colour better too. Then give them a light steam over a kettle to set the colour.

milkmaid42 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 9

I sometimes dust before the gum paste is fully dry and then reapply after. Steam and even apply a 3rd dusting if needed. Also, sometimes I don't use a brush, but rather those little sponge tipped make up thingies.
Often, I will color my gumpaste a little lighter than the color I intend then bring it to the desired color with the chalk.

I have to be pretty flexible to find out what effect I want.

Don't give up. Just keep experimenting.

AnotherCaker Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #8 of 9

Mortar and pestle. Can't get it any finer than that. It needs to be like silt.

kathyw Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 9

I use a spice rasp with my chalk. It works beautifully. I get a very fine powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%