Fondant Figures

Decorating By rydilly Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm by rydilly

rydilly Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

I am still learning about decorating. I am going to try making a spongebob and friends cake for my grandson.
I use marshmallow fondant. How far in advance can I make the figures and have them still be fine to eat? Also, should I put them in a sealed container or leave out?
I need the cake for April 3rd and wanted to make these ahead.

I am sure the answer is on the site somewhere, but everything I search for does not take me to the right place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
Cupcations Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

I make them up to a month ahead & if you want them moist/soft keep them in an air tight container if not it doesnt matter, I think if you add tylose powder they will last longer too

icer101 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Don,t add tylose if you want them to be edible. It will make them rock hard. That is the purpose of adding tylose to fondant, to make g/p. I don,t make mmf, but i read on this site, it gets hard anyway. If it is small figures, just make them up and keep in air tight container.Add some candy clay to the mmf , this will make them a little softer for eating. If they are small figure , i mean. hth

rydilly Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the info. It will certainly make it less stressful to do ahead of time.

Do I keep them on the counter or put in fridge?

Cupcations Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 7

I never put them in the fridge always room temperature icon_smile.gif

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 7

The problem with keeping figures soft enough to be edible is then they don't hold their shape very well. I make my figures well in advance. I just consider them "decoration" that won't get eaten. A lot of times, people will save them. I made a mario figure for my grandson's cake last July. We still have it and it looks just like it did the day of his birthday icon_biggrin.gif

rydilly Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will just use them as decorations for my first time. That way I don't have to worry about them sagging!

Thank you so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%