Help!!!! My Buttercream Won't Crust!!!!

Baking By Ophelia007 Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm by platinumlady

Ophelia007 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 5

I'm at my wits end! I need this cake done in the morning and the buttercream won't crust so I can do the Viva trick! The frosting I left sitting in the bowl crusted... SO WHY WON'T WHATS ON THE CAKE!?!? *faints*

I used the Wilton boxed mix and followed the directions to the letter. Why won't whats on the cake crust but whats in the bowl will!?!

4 replies
sugardugar Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 5

Was your cake frozen? If you're using a crusting BC it should crust...unless your cake was partially frozen when icing it and then it takes more time I've found.

Ophelia007 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Was your cake frozen? If you're using a crusting BC it should crust...unless your cake was partially frozen when icing it and then it takes more time I've found.

I don't THINK so. I put it in the freezer for like ten minutes to let the crumb coat set up but I let it sit out before I applied the buttercream.

Ophelia007 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 5

Ok, so after some time in the fridge and a LOT of finagling with a wet spatula, I got the cake to come out right. It's my very first homemade, hand decorated cake so I guess I was freaking out a little. LOL. It was going so well up until that point, that murphy's law meant the other shoe was going to drop sooner or later!

But, I digress...

THE FINISHED PRODUCT!

platinumlady Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 5

Cute cake ... glad things worked out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%