Gum Paste Flowers And Chalk

Decorating By leslierae24 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm by Marianna46

leslierae24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslierae24 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have read that you can use non-toxic chalk to color gum paste flowers and I tried this but the color was not dark enough and it did not come out very well. Does anyone have any recommendations on dusting gum paste or where to get the more vibrant colors??? I don't want to order the wrong stuff!!

5 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 6

There's some discussion here as well as a pic of the brand I use. I get it at Michaels.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684448-chalk.html

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure what you used, but if you are using kids chalk, like sidewalk chalk or crayola brand, you will not get much color. If you get artist pastels (the chalk ones, not the oils) they will give you a much bolder color. They can be found in the art section of your local craft store.

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:11am
post #4 of 6

I got a 12 pack of crayola chalk for $2 I think the color is perfect for my flowers. I also got small jars from michaels for $5 the amount of money I saved by making my own petal dust still makes me dance :p

leslierae24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslierae24 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 6

Got some pastels and they work great!! Thanks everyone!! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, boy, I'm going to the art supply store like TODAY! I'm really tired of paying so much for those petal dusts! Even the pricey chalks are a lot more economical than a couple of colors of dust, and I have trouble finding enough variety in the colors, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%