Buttercream Pulling Away From Cake

Decorating By cakesbyjulia Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm by sweetartbakery

cakesbyjulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulia Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 10

i should know this, but why does buttercream pull away from cake? is it a moisture thing? it doesn't happen all the time, but it did today on my golf ball cake....just a little luckily. i did crumb coat!
thanks!

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 10

If it pulls away while you are trying to ice it, it's too thick... add liquid for a creamier consistency that isn't too stiff to spread.

cakesbyjulia Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

oh no, i mean it pulled away after i iced it. today i peeked inside the box and there was a little buldge, or bubble and the icing was just not sticking to the cake in one spot. weird.

cstape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstape Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

That happened to me on my most recent cake. I would like to know as well.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 10

Was the cake frozen when you iced it?

cakesbyjulia Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 10

no, not frozen. and i had crumb coated it 12 hours earlier.

novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10

That happened to me this weekend on one cake. Made a chocolate and a white with straberry swirl. The icing on the strawberry swirl sort of just slid down the sides of the cake. I took it off and put it back on, each time trying to stiffen the icing a bit more. It took three tries for me to give it up for the night and wait until morning to try again, letting the crumb coat harden. I think it has to do with the icing being soft, and the cake being very moist. I ended up adding powder sugar until I got a very stiff frosting, which is not my normal fluffy consistency.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 10

It could just be air/gases trying to escape from the cake (usually associated with settling), or it could be from the type of flavor the cake is... chocolate cake typically calls for more oil in the recipe than other flavors which can attribute to icing not sticking to a more greasy surface.

cakesbyjulia Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 10

i think that is what happened to me too....cake too moist and icing too thin/fluffy. it sounds yummy, but a decorating nightmare! i actually crumbed it and let it sit uncoverd all day to try and get the moisture out, but it still happened. i think it happens mostly w/ white cake.
thanks!

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 10

I am finding this to be a constant problem lately! I have no idea what is going on. I've been making cakes for years and all of a sudden, I get these spots with a buldge and when it happens with fodant, the fondant cracks! its terrible and i'm beside myself. Any help would be appreciated. I have a huge number of cakes to pull off tonight and three are already doing this! HELP!

My cakes are very moist, but then again...they always have been. The frosting is soft, anyone have luck with thicker frosting? I did go with a thicker frosting in the beginning and didn't notice this. but then again I was only making one a week then... I read somewhere that cracks happen when there isn't enough fat in the frosting. I increased that but its still happening!

cakes at room temp too....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%