Decorating In Advance?

Decorating By jkos2jlock Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm by jayhova80

jkos2jlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkos2jlock Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 3

I usually make my cake a day befoe, add filling then freeze. I then decorate the night before, which leaves me staying up very late. My question: how far in advance can a cake be decorated and left in fridge with fondant and buttercream and the cake still taste good?

Thanks for your tips/suggestions!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 3

I always had my cakes done by the afternoon of the day before (wedding on sat .... cake completely done no later than 4:00 pm on Friday). I never refrigerated my cakes. They sat on my countertops until I came in the next morning to load 'em up and deliver them.

cakes are not as fragile as people make them out to be. Once they are iced, the icing seals the cake, preventing the air from getting to the cake, which is what makes a cake dry out.

refrigerating a cake tends to accelerate the "going stale" process. Unless you ahve a perishable filling, there is no need to put the cake in the 'frig.

jayhova80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayhova80 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 3

I was going to ask a similar question myself. I baked my cakes yesterday and froze them overnight. I was planning on icing them tonight then finish pipiping the design on tomorrow for delivery friday. Is that okay?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%