Pan Sizes?

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking to get some nice pans...I've made a few cakes and now I think that I can justify spending some money on some quality pans. I love tiered cakes...what size pans should I get?

I am looking to buy 3-4 different size round pans and 3-4 different size square pans.

Any suggestions?

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 6

6", 8", 10", 12" of round and square. Most here seem to prefer Fat Daddios or Magic Line. Not Wilton. You really should look at getting at least a couple of each size though, so your baking time is more efficiently spent icon_wink.gif

kristiemarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 6

Also, is 2" or 3" better?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Also, is 2" or 3" better?

It's all personal preference and what you do. I personally use the 2", then level my cakes with the top of the pan. I use two 2" layers per tier and usually torte them so i have 3 layers of filling and 4 one inch layers of cake.

others use the 3" and either make the 2" layers, or make a 3" layer and torte twice for 2 layers of filling and 3 one inch layers of cake.

There is no right or wrong way.

As for what pans you plan on buying. What kind of cakes do you make more of or plan on making? If you're making sheet cakes then you'll want to invest in the sizes you use. Otherwise for rounds and squares i think 6-8-9-10 are always good sizes to have on hand.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with having more than one of each size! I also prefer 2".

kristiemarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%