Anyone Getting More "entitled" Clients Lately?

Business By costumeczar Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 8:01am by anna_bananna

kayliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayliecakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:58am
post #91 of 124

Wow, sorry to hear that Polarbear! That is terrible! It's amazing what people think they're allowed to demand.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #92 of 124

Oh Polarbear icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_surprised.gif

So sorry that your "friend" and her daughter treated you that way.

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #93 of 124

Today a young lady call me for a wedding cake, she had seen one at Kroger and wonder if I would put some "Bling" to it and add a "Bunch" of rose to it for $125. I try my best to not lol, I ask her to hold on cause I knew what she was talking about. I run away from the phone and laugh my AO. I came back to the phone and ask her for the date, and turn her down. I hate those calls. icon_lol.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm
post #94 of 124

I have a bride asking me if there is left over cake after i've baked hers, can i return it to her..DEAD SERIOUS. Oh, and she wants to make sure that i know that a cake has to be firm in order to put fondant on it etc... I swear people watch a few episodes of Cake Boss, and "allusudden" they're experts. My Mom said i should have told this chick to go kick rocks, but we'll see what happens

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #95 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh yeah, the "up to the challenge" thing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It seems to me that I recall getting an email wanting to know if I was up to the challenge of making a 3 tier cake with a ribbon around the base. Must be the new buzzword!!!

Challenge? In my sleep with my eyes closed! (oh wait ... most people DO sleep with their eyes closed, dont' they!?) icon_lol.gif

"Dear Mass Marketing Bride,

Thank you for your recent inquiry, but if you are looking for a cake decorator who finds three tiered cakes challenging, we are definitely not for you! Tiered cakes are NOT challenging to those who know what they are doing. Good luck to you!" icon_twisted.gif

someone help me up off the ground.....I LOVe THIS REPLY!!!!

I wonder- has anyone followed through on this "challenge" phrase? Could it be a new twist to the scam "I need a 3 tiered cake boxed for pickup"....maybe they've learned a different way to come at decorators.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:11pm
post #96 of 124

I had a customer contact me about a cake. She let me know right up front that she was contacting other people as well, so I increased my price a bit. I figured she dropped the other contacts to use this as a bargining tool. So when she came back and said that other bakers were willing to do the cake for what I would have normally quoted her, I dropped my price to match, and got the money I would have wanted in the first place. Worked well for the custom cake, but I don't think I would be as sucessful for a regular cake!

BTW, I'm so glad I found this site. I'm new to the 'official' business of cake decorating, and this site is fantastic! So are all the people here! icon_lol.gif

SweetCelebrationsCakes_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCelebrationsCakes_1 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #97 of 124

I know what you mean I have been doing cakes for a long time and Just recently was ask to give a full refund on a wedding cake cancellation. This was very difficult for me. I am friends with a family member so I didn't want to make a bad situation worse and lose a friend. This was with less than two weeks til the wedding. And the person who ask for the refund couldn't believe that I had already purchased supplies for the cake!!! Anyone who doesn't do cakes and especially wedding cakes just don't have a clue. Thank God for his grace through that situation, hope it never happens again.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #98 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCelebrationsCakes_1

I am friends with a family member so I didn't want to make a bad situation worse and lose a friend.

How come you have to be concerned with handling a bad situation and "losing a friend" but they have no problem screwing you out of a booking, violating the terms of the contract, asking for all of their money back and that seems to be ok? How come THEY aren't worried about dealing with a "bad situation" and losing YOU as a friend?

2 weeks before the wedding? It has NOTHING to do with having already bought the ingredients. It has EVERYTHING to do with how there is no way you can get another booking inside of two weeks to replace their business .... uh, their LOST business. Business you depend on to pay your rent and feed your kids.

but they have no obligation to worry about THAT do they?

Here's my article on where I explain it in more detail ..... http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/deposits

bakingmama24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama24 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #99 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

"
I think the TV challenges, where it seems the tops of our business are competing to be chosen by the customer, may play a part also! Do all this work, and then they will see if they think you are worth anything!

I speak at bridal shows. The first thing I say - Unless you have a $10,000 budget for your cake alone - stop watching those shows. You cannot have that cake!

I honestly say that. I've had other vendors get mad at me and follow behind me (I'm always the first to speak) and tell them they can get whatever they want - that they deserve it and can do it!! (woo-hoo???)

So now I start with that same line and add... and if anyone tells you you can have whatever you want, run from that vendor - because they are not only going to crash your budget but easily talk you in to things you cannot afford and will regret those purchases later when trying to make your house payment. While you may deserve anything you want - not one of us lives in a world where that really happens. Know your budget, embrace your budget, enjoy your wedding day.

I say more than this - more positive things - but this is how I start out.

I actually get lots of business from that little speech.

I also delete those emails (I'm convinced they are spam to begin with) as soon as I receive them. I do not entertain them for a second.

LOVE this!!!

I wish more shows actually gave at least an inkling of what the cakes cost. I have only seen one show that does. It would definitely wake some customers up! The shows are great and fun but many think they should get a work of art for the same price of a sheet cake!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 12:28pm
post #100 of 124

I once had a person want an anniversary cake for her parents. She was almost an aquaitance. (both of our children were involved in scouts, but we never really met). anyway she kept making jokes about me giving her a deep discout on the cake. Joke after joke after joke! It was like she was trying to wear me down with her humor! I didn't ever really know her! Emails went back and forth for a long time and then she said maybe she could bring her parents over for a cake tasting because it would help lift their spirits for some reason (for like a 20 serving cake!) I didn't give into that tactic either. she never ordered the cake.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #101 of 124

These are the crazy things I've been asked or told in the last 45 days.

CUSTOMER A: "Can you make me 12 cake pops, each a different design and flavor and deliver them my friend for her birthday?" The woman only wanted to pay $24.00. When I told her that I couldn't do it for that price since I would have to make 12 different cake flavors just to accomodate her, she advised me that she would find someone else who could.

CUSTOMER B: "Can you make me a 3 tier Winnie the Pooh cake with gumpaste characters?" When I advised her of the price, she then told me her budget was only $50.00 and that she would need to keep looking. Incidentally, she ended up with a cupcake cake from the grocery store which probably cost more than her $50 budget.

CUSTOMER C: "I would like to order a wedding cake and a groom's cake from you for my best friend's wedding, and because the cake is going to another city 2 hours away, can you please deliver it to my house, and I will transport it there." At this point, everything sounds good. Then I get another call, "I would like to do a cake tasting with 5 cakes and 7 fillings." I usually don't do this, but since her husband is a good friend of mine, I did the tasting. Now I get another call, "Well, we are all staying in that town the night before the wedding, so you will NEED to deliver the cake there instead." Uhhhh. No. I don't think so. I told her I have to pick my mother up from the airport that morning, and I'm unable to drive 2 hours each way and still make it on time. She then offered to pay me extra for the delivery (duh), if I forgo the trip to the airport. Um, NO!!! I will not drive that cake 2 hours away and leave my mother at the airport. I have bent over backwards for this lady already. She then advised me, "well, we'll figure out something." She better figure fast, cuz the wedding is 3 weeks away, and I haven't heard from her.

CUSTOMER D: "Can you make me a gluten free 3D guitar cake ?" I then advised her that I do NOT do allergy free cakes, and I sent her a list of cake flavors and fillings that I can do. She then asks, "Can you make a gluten free Boston cream pie cake?" I then tell her, that I don't do allergy free cakes, and I don't have a recipe for Boston Cream. I advised her again to check the list of flavors. She then calls back and asks if she makes the gluten free cake, would I carve it and deocrate it for her at a discount since she did the baking?" NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #102 of 124

Not sure if this falls under the "entitled" category but my friend saw a Facebook post declaring "Looking for a Cake Boss type cake for my kid's birthday" so she gave out my number to the mom. When the mom called me, she said her daughter loved Cake Boss and expected a cake as cute, but she didn't want to pay much for a 4 yr old's bday....I suddenly became unavailable for the date she had in mind and let it go right there.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:52pm
post #103 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear49

I was ready to hang up my oven mitts! I know most of you charge for your cakes (very smart!) but I think the ones who do it for free for friends and family take a lot of abuse. I have probably made 50 wedding cakes in my lifetime - all for free. I am very clear up front that I have an album of all the cakes I've made and would be happy for them to choose a cake from this book. If they want a specific cake, I won't be offended if they find a professional and pay to have "the cake of their dreams". I just lost a friend of 15 years because her daughter wanted me to make a cake from a picture. She didn't want fondant but wanted butter cream frosting that "looked like fondant". The minute her daughter started rolling her eyes at me, all the joy went out of making this cake. I tried telling her I couldn't make the cake and her response was, "It's several months until the wedding. You've got a long time to practice." (That comment infuriated my husband.) So I wrote them a very nice e-mail explaining that I couldn't make her cake and because I wanted her to love her wedding cake, she would need to hire a professional to make it. Her Mom responded that I was a "black cloud" over her daughter's wedding and she didn't want anything more to do with me. While I'm sorry for the loss of a friendship, I'm wondering how much of a friend she really was. I just cautiously agreed to make a wedding cake for the daughter of a dear friend. She has been just as sweet and respectful as can be and totally appreciative for what I'm going to do for her.

She was never a friend to begin with.... you didn't lose anything, you got rid of something icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:55pm
post #104 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Not sure if this falls under the "entitled" category but my friend saw a Facebook post declaring "Looking for a type cake for my kid's birthday" so she gave out my number to the mom. When the mom called me, she said her daughter loved and expected a cake as cute, but she didn't want to pay much for a 4 yr old's bday....I suddenly became unavailable for the date she had in mind and let it go right there.

Honey, don't become unavailable.. just name your price and if she doesn't want to pay that, then she can move on. But don't throw in the towel before you've given yourself an opportunity to make $$$

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:46pm
post #105 of 124

I was once feeling challenged about making my friends and family "cake poor''. Until I had a friend of mine order three cakes in one week. I generally would have knocked off a few dollars here or there because she had been a great help to me when I needed someone and was low on funds for a babysitter. She would watch my kids for me for about 10 mins. in the afternoon until I could get home from work (I worked out of town and couldn't see paying $200 a week for my kids to spend only a 10 mins a day at daycare. Guilt trip tactic!) This was over a 2 year period. She would never allow me to pay her even when something came up and she would need to do somethng else. Well, at first it was a cake for people should knew on her job-one here (1/4 sheet cake) and another one there. She told me over the phone "Girl if I have anything to do with it I am going to put you on the map!" (I should have known it was a setup and should have ran for the hills) Then comes the three cake order in one week, one supposedly due on Thursday with an elaborate time consuming design but oops I need it by tomorrow. Thursday changed into Tuesday and today is Monday at 1:30pm in the afternoon yet you need it by tomorrow Tuesday at 8:30am and you want ME to deliver it (now I work and is in college besides making cakes); then she want a $20 book cake with edibe images for Saturday to feed 30 people (edible images cost $6 each); and finally by Sunday a cake to feed 50-60 people fondant covered giraffe print gift box cake for $45. icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif Now this was all of the same week and I had a death in my family. They paid me for the Sunday cake two days later as if I was suppose to track them down for the payment that was supposed to be given to me on the Sunday. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif "That was her way of helping me ans putting me on the map." I learned a lesson then that you can go into the hole with wanting a sell or wanting people to become interested in your cakes. Your products cost, your gas cost, your time cost. I live in a small 4 traffic light town and its the biggest town in my county. There are two actual custom cake businesses but TONS of at home bakers. I know that I have just started out baking and decorating for the public. But my time is worth more than nickels and dimes for something that is near and dear to me. If I don't value them no one else will. I will just keep practicing until God sends the people for my product. Do I need the money HECK YEAH! But my products may not be the other established business products (even though I have been told I do just as good work-wondering if my prices were making them talk like that?-) but they are MINE. And I confidently Stand on THAT. If you are not confident about your price or your products, people will play off of that! Your cakes will be taken seriously when YOU take them SERIOUSLY!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #106 of 124

why didn't you just tell her it was too short of notice for you to pull it off? You can always tell them the price you think is fair and they can always say no. I prefer to do cakes for "customers" rather than friends because I just don't care if customers say no to the price. With friends I always end up giving a big discout and often feel a bit resentful..but that is MY fault for having trouble naming my price. I can't be angry with them when that is the price I quoted. Many times though the cakes I do as gifts or big discounts end up providing me with some good fortune or joy (NOT ALWAYS) but many times. It sounds like your friend provided you with a much needed service in the past with childcare. Since she insisted on not being paid, perhaps a good way to handle it is to give her a gift certificate for a certain amount of cake services. Then she'd know how much "free" cake you intend to give her.

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:31pm
post #107 of 124

Actually, when I was doing this, she knew how much my cakes cost up front and how much of a discount she was getting from me. I have learned from that experienced. It is way easy to tell many no. It takes experiences to learn that if you can give some people a discount here or there since they may be the one that comes to expect it every time. Now, they it's easy to think they won't be getting a cake from you this time.

problemcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
problemcat Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #108 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Where we got attitude was from the Moms who wanted $300 1st birthday cakes for their little angels for $50. Maybe it's my perverse attitude, but I really loved telling these people no. It's probably the first time they ever heard it.

You said it, sister! These are the worst I've encountered.

problemcat Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #109 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear49

I was ready to hang up my oven mitts! I know most of you charge for your cakes (very smart!) but I think the ones who do it for free for friends and family take a lot of abuse. I have probably made 50 wedding cakes in my lifetime - all for free. I am very clear up front that I have an album of all the cakes I've made and would be happy for them to choose a cake from this book. If they want a specific cake, I won't be offended if they find a professional and pay to have "the cake of their dreams". I just lost a friend of 15 years because her daughter wanted me to make a cake from a picture. She didn't want fondant but wanted butter cream frosting that "looked like fondant". The minute her daughter started rolling her eyes at me, all the joy went out of making this cake. I tried telling her I couldn't make the cake and her response was, "It's several months until the wedding. You've got a long time to practice." (That comment infuriated my husband.) So I wrote them a very nice e-mail explaining that I couldn't make her cake and because I wanted her to love her wedding cake, she would need to hire a professional to make it. Her Mom responded that I was a "black cloud" over her daughter's wedding and she didn't want anything more to do with me. While I'm sorry for the loss of a friendship, I'm wondering how much of a friend she really was.

Polarbear, your experience reminds me of something that happened to me shortly after I went into cake decorating. Shortly after I went into business, a man from our small group bible study called and asked how much Id charge to make a cake for his wifes birthday party. He wanted a cake that would serve at least fifty people, and he wanted it covered in tiny royal icing violets. I told him Id do it for my cost, which was around $50 dollars, and he literally stammered, thatsthats too much! Another friend ended up baking a sheet cake, iced and left in the pan, for the party. Six months later, the wife called and asked how much I would charge to bake a cake for her husbands birthday, which happened to fall the night of our bible study. She told me exactly what she wanted, complete with my cream cheese icing, signature ganache, and strawberries. I quoted her a just-above-cost price, because, again, I wanted to be nice to her. She stammered and said, I could get a cake at the grocery store for that! I said, Then you should. I dont make grocery store cakes, and I wont try to compete with their prices. Later, my home group leader told me that the offended woman told her shed expected me to do it for free.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #110 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by problemcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Where we got attitude was from the Moms who wanted $300 1st birthday cakes for their little angels for $50. Maybe it's my perverse attitude, but I really loved telling these people no. It's probably the first time they ever heard it.

You said it, sister! These are the worst I've encountered.

I've frequently shared that it was not unusual for me to spend 2 hours with a mom over a $60-$70 birthday cake but I could book an order for wedding cake AND catering with a bride in about an hour. Annoying!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #111 of 124
Quote:

Later, my home group leader told me that the offended woman told her shed expected me to do it for free.

This is just baffling to me. I would never assume that anyone was doing anything for free, especially if I was the one to call THEM and ask about it!

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #112 of 124

I have noticed that when friends and coworkers ask, "how much for a cake?" They really mean, "can you make me a free cake." It's really annoying.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #113 of 124

@Problemcat... I have had similar experiences as you and I feel for you!! And, I'm probably not going to make any friends with this remark, but (and please read carefully) in my own experience, the ones that seem to take the most advantage are the ones we call "brother or sister in Christ". And, to me that is just a shame. And again, that is from my own experiences.

It was the same way growing up with a father that was a mechanic that specializes in exotic cars. I can't tell you how often people from church would call my dad "in need" of having their Mercedes /Porsche fixed. And, meanwhile, my stepmother would drive us around in a less than perfectly running car because he didnt have anymore time to work on her Chevy. What made it really bad, though, was not the fact that they asked to have things done, but that they would bring a part over and ask that he "just install it"? And, the majority of the time that "installation" took my dad an entire weekend and the people would NOT offer to PAY!! And, because my dad was a "good Christian" he wouldn't ask to be paid for his time...which, at a repair shop would have cost them several THOUSAND dollars in many cases. And, yes, family would ask for things to be done also. But there wasn't that shame when he said no to one of them like when he did to someone in the church and, unfortunately I've had similar experiences. I have been talked about behind my back and DOGGED OUT for not doing things for free. Unfortunately, I am sad to say, it is that type of behavior that has made me walk away from a church or two....

SweetCelebrationsCakes_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCelebrationsCakes_1 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:11am
post #114 of 124

Thank you for your response, i will never let this happen again. Friend or not business is business. I live in a very small town and I am learning a lot the hard way. I will take your advice, thanks for the blog link, great info.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:01am
post #115 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

@Problemcat... I have had similar experiences as you and I feel for you!! And, I'm probably not going to make any friends with this remark, but (and please read carefully) in my own experience, the ones that seem to take the most advantage are the ones we call "brother or sister in Christ". And, to me that is just a shame. And again, that is from my own experiences.

It was the same way growing up with a father that was a mechanic that specializes in exotic cars. I can't tell you how often people from church would call my dad "in need" of having their Mercedes /Porsche fixed. And, meanwhile, my stepmother would drive us around in a less than perfectly running car because he didnt have anymore time to work on her Chevy. What made it really bad, though, was not the fact that they asked to have things done, but that they would bring a part over and ask that he "just install it"? And, the majority of the time that "installation" took my dad an entire weekend and the people would NOT offer to PAY!! And, because my dad was a "good Christian" he wouldn't ask to be paid for his time...which, at a repair shop would have cost them several THOUSAND dollars in many cases. And, yes, family would ask for things to be done also. But there wasn't that shame when he said no to one of them like when he did to someone in the church and, unfortunately I've had similar experiences. I have been talked about behind my back and DOGGED OUT for not doing things for free. Unfortunately, I am sad to say, it is that type of behavior that has made me walk away from a church or two....

wow, our dads sound like the same person. my dad was a general mechanic (he had his own shop, it was his lively-hood not a hobby) so everyone from our church would go to him for any car problem and expect it to be free- and being the amazing Christian man he was, my dad would charge very little if nothing at all. my dad never had a lot, but he took pride in helping other people. on many occasions he would buy an old run down car, fix it up, and have it ready in case someone in need came by. he would literally give the cars away, or set-up a payment plan which was usually no more than $100/month (ask me how many people made more than one or two payments...) my mom, an educated woman, would argue with my dad's method of running business but he would always say he was doing the Lord's work. even though the people of our church upset my mom and i on many occasions by 'using' my dad, i must say his funeral taught me a lesson. when my dad passed away from cancer last july at the age of 53, our auditorium sized church (500+ seats) was full to standing room only. seeing how his kind and giving heart touched so many people's lives touched mine in such a special way i can't even put it into words.

i'm not too sure how this ties into cakes, i was merely recounting my experience as related to the pp. i guess sometimes even if it is a loss to us, we should consider the other person's situation. then again, i guess a car is a need and a cake is a want, and i'm sure any of ya'll would be willing to give a cake away to someone who deserved it rather than someone who expected it. hmmmmmm i feel like i just rambled for awhile, sorry icon_redface.gif

problemcat Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #116 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

wow, our dads sound like the same person. my dad was a general mechanic (he had his own shop, it was his lively-hood not a hobby) so everyone from our church would go to him for any car problem and expect it to be free- and being the amazing Christian man he was, my dad would charge very little if nothing at all. my dad never had a lot, but he took pride in helping other people. on many occasions he would buy an old run down car, fix it up, and have it ready in case someone in need came by. he would literally give the cars away, or set-up a payment plan which was usually no more than $100/month (ask me how many people made more than one or two payments...) my mom, an educated woman, would argue with my dad's method of running business but he would always say he was doing the Lord's work. even though the people of our church upset my mom and i on many occasions by 'using' my dad, i must say his funeral taught me a lesson. when my dad passed away from cancer last july at the age of 53, our auditorium sized church (500+ seats) was full to standing room only. seeing how his kind and giving heart touched so many people's lives touched mine in such a special way i can't even put it into words.

i'm not too sure how this ties into cakes, i was merely recounting my experience as related to the pp. i guess sometimes even if it is a loss to us, we should consider the other person's situation. then again, i guess a car is a need and a cake is a want, and i'm sure any of ya'll would be willing to give a cake away to someone who deserved it rather than someone who expected it. hmmmmmm i feel like i just rambled for awhile, sorry icon_redface.gif

I understand where youre coming from. One of my husbands closest friends is a carpenter, and you know how the housing industry has suffered. Thankfully, rather than taking advantage, most (not all, sadly) of the folks we hang out with from church actually do their best to give him work and insist on being charged adequately. He came over and helped my husband stone our fireplace, hang sheetrock, etc. My husband told him repeatedly to let him know what we owe him, but he declined. We finally asked around and found out a fair price for what hes done and then forced money on him a couple of times, because we knew he needed it.

Oh, and for the record, my dad is also a mechanic! icon_biggrin.gif

problemcat Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #117 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Later, my home group leader told me that the offended woman told her shed expected me to do it for free.

This is just baffling to me. I would never assume that anyone was doing anything for free, especially if I was the one to call THEM and ask about it!

Actually, my home group leader said that to her. She outright said, "you asked her how much she would charge, and she told you. If you wanted a free cake, you should have said as much." She also (not so gently) reminded her that my husband and I are parents of two young children and that I homeschool and don't have time or money to give away cakes for free. (I love my homegroup leader. She's an amazing woman.)

Last year, a friend of mine who is a stunningly-talented professional photographer told me that she finally came to the point where she had to promise herself shed never again give her talent away for free, because so many people were taking advantage of her kindness. I took that to heart.

Then, last fall, another friend of mine (my most faithful customer, actually) sat me down and told me that I had to start being fair to myself in my prices. He has a business of his own and has experienced much of this himself (especially from friends and family). He gave me the whole Walmart-made-in-China versus custom-design-quality speech. In fact, the last few times Ive made cakes for him, hes eyed me when I give him my price and said, are you sure?

Ive come to the point where, with some friends (and I use that term loosely), I can say with an enthusiastic smile, Feel free! when they threaten to go to Walmart or the local grocery store for their cakes. My perspective has shifted somewhat, and Im beginning to realize that Im not missing an opportunity with these people. Rather, Im escaping a situation where someone wants to take advantage of me.

I do still underestimate the value of my cakes, though. Im currently reading the cc thread about pricing cakes, where other cake artists are posting links to their cake pictures and telling what they charged. That is SUPER helpful. Ive learned a great deal.

I still have a LOT to learn.

SoonerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerBaker Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:51pm
post #118 of 124

I just decorate cakes for fun, but I have a story to tell about an entitled customer. My husband is an electrician and only does work on the side as a second job. He went over to a lady's house, fixed what she wanted and told her we would bill her (he had done work for her before) I sent the bill and when she paid - it was $50 less because she didn't feel he had spent enough time to justify the bill?!?!?! AND she had the nerve to call again needing an electrician. We put the word out really quick as to what she had done and she had to pay top dollar for the next electrician. None of the independents would darken her door. Some people have all the nerve.

Purtygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Purtygirl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:07am
post #119 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purtygirl

I work in a grocery store where people bring in pictures of these elaborate fondant covered cakes (we don't do fondant!) and literally say they want a "" cake, but they're paying with FOOD STAMPS!!!! I'm willing to bet that the doesn't accept food stamps!!! And they will spend up to $300 on a cake!! I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND!! AND they are the WORST COMPLAINERS! Always yelling, "I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS CAKE!!" No you didn't!! I DID!!! Hard-working tax payers did!! I can't even get financial aid!!

i didn't want to open up this can of worms, but i'm glad that someone did. I lose out on some business because i work from my home and don't have the means, etc. to accept food stamps. People will bo to the grocery store to buy a wedding cake because they can use food stamps. smh

YES!! They can buy pre-made deli sandwiches and cakes from the bakery! $300 wedding cakes!! I see it every day and it enrages me!

Purtygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Purtygirl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:26am
post #120 of 124

Two sisters started corresponding with me back in December for a party this month. 2 cakes each serving 40 people. Both covered in fondant, one is a 2 tiered cake. They sent me pics of cakes they liked and I quoted them the price. They texted me about 3 weeks ago and all the details are still the same. The tiered cake has a ceramic topper of Betty Boop and I TOLD them they would need to find the topper themselves. Now I'm getting texts asking how much for 30 people on the tiered cake and I just got a phn call telling me they found someone who can MAKE a betty boop topper out of fondant for $30 (just the topper) so can I lower my price? I told her no, that the price I quoted her never included me making the topper, remember? Then she asked if I could MAKE the topper. NO. Now I don't even want to make her cakes. She also said she wanted it to be "perfect" and she wants her mom to "cry" when she sees it! Tomorrow she's going to call me to change the colors on the cake. Now I want to cry!
HELP! Should I just tell her I don't feel comfortable making her cakes? I'm charging her $225 for TWO cakes...TOTAL! This was the price I quoted her back in DECEMBER! If she it was too much she had PLENTY of time to find someone else. Instead she is changing things and trying to negotiate. And the party is April 16th!
What should I do???!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%