Cake Servings

Decorating By RDPJohnson Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm by SunshineSally

RDPJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RDPJohnson Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:27am
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I'd like to know how to determine the amount of cake needed for an event - for example, 150 guests and is there a list or chart that gives that info for a variety of cake pans? If so, where can I find it? I'll appreciate any help you can give me...

Thanks,
Donna

10 replies
bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:41am
post #2 of 11

There are many charts out there, but here are two that I Googled.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/wedding/cakechart.aspx

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:49am
post #3 of 11

I use the Wilton, which is mostly the same as the one above, I see. A couple are different.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

It also depends on what kind of event.

Wedding: I use my 60% Rule, which states that 60% of the total number INVITED will actually show up. (invite 150 .... expect around 90-100 to actually be there).

Corporate event: These are usually mandatory attendance events and the invited headcount will be much closer to the actual.

Open House: very hard to gauge as its a revolving door for about 4 hours. I still go by my 60% rule, although I have indepth conversations with the event planner person to find out as much as I can about their family (past history of attendance, how many out of town guests, very involved in church or not, etc.)

to determine amount of cake I need to make, I use the chart posted by sweetcakesbyjen. In my signature is a link that shows you how to cut a cake to achieve these servings. If the client will be cutting the cake themselves (i.e. NOT being cut by you or by a caterer), many people print off these photos and leave them for the client as a cutting guide.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It also depends on what kind of event.

Wedding: I use my 60% Rule, which states that 60% of the total number INVITED will actually show up. (invite 150 .... expect around 90-100 to actually be there).

Corporate event: These are usually mandatory attendance events and the invited headcount will be much closer to the actual.

Open House: very hard to gauge as its a revolving door for about 4 hours. I still go by my 60% rule, although I have indepth conversations with the event planner person to find out as much as I can about their family (past history of attendance, how many out of town guests, very involved in church or not, etc.)

to determine amount of cake I need to make, I use the chart posted by sweetcakesbyjen. In my signature is a link that shows you how to cut a cake to achieve these servings. If the client will be cutting the cake themselves (i.e. NOT being cut by you or by a caterer), many people print off these photos and leave them for the client as a cutting guide.

Brilliant, thanks!

bcarb Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 11

Indydebi, thanks for the info and pics on how to cut a cake. If you would be so kind to explain one of you comments regarding a pic, "The easy part.... just begin cutting the 2" strip into 1" pieces." Do the pieces then end up into wedges? Boy, I must need some more coffee, because I can't visualize how they end up in wedges.....

As always, thanks for all the sharing of info. I learn more every day.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

Just thought I'd share what I print off and send with my clients. It makes it easier for them when they can actually see how to cut a cake. I took the images from the Wilton website and make a document specially for them. I just print it and circle the cake(s) that they got. Hopefully one of you can benefit from it too. If it doesn't show, PM me and I'll send it to you if interested.

Edited to add: I just uploaded it to my pics.

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarb

Indydebi, thanks for the info and pics on how to cut a cake. If you would be so kind to explain one of you comments regarding a pic, "The easy part.... just begin cutting the 2" strip into 1" pieces." Do the pieces then end up into wedges? Boy, I must need some more coffee, because I can't visualize how they end up in wedges.....

As always, thanks for all the sharing of info. I learn more every day.

No, they don't end up in wedges. Wedges is how we cut a small round cake at home for after dinner. Wedding cake is cut into rectangles. here are some pics showing 1x2x4" pieces of cake. notice they are a nice dessert size piece of cake and that 1" does NOT mean "paper thin". thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1156785
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3856884667/

bcarb Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks Indydebi, you always seem to know what I mean and can explain it better than I can ask. icon_biggrin.gif
(In your pic that went with the description of how to cut a wedding cake, the pieces on the plate looked like they were in a wedge, that is why I was confused.)

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 11

Ohhhh! those were the "corner" pieces. when I get to the end and have that rounded piece left, I cut it into two even wedges, instead of having a dinky little piece left over.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 11

You just answered the question of my most recent dilemma! Most definitely printing the pictures for the bride!! thumbs_up.gif
Thanks IndyDebi! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%