Second Guessing This Cake....

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm by Corrie76

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 20

I have an order for a cake tomorrow and I just finished....and I'm now second guessing the end result. Here is the description for the cake she ordered:
Slot Machine Inspired Cake
8in cake of Triple Chocolate Cake & Vanilla Buttercream
White fondant covered cake
Lilac & white rolled fondant roses on the top of the cake and several around the base of the cake
In the slot machine panel have fondant, lilac cut-out roses (not rolled like the roses on top & around the base) accented with green cut out leaves
Round cake base board (what the cake rests on) covered in sky blue fondant w/ edges of cake base board wrapped in a complimentary ribbon
Silver coins that say "60" on them scattered around the cake base board
slot machine pull handle covered in silver fondant attached to the side of the cake
$60 - due upon receipt

And here is the actual cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1973954

Thoughts?

19 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:02am
post #2 of 20

I think it's really cute! It's kind of classy slot machine!

If you made it again I think it might look more slot machine-ish as a square cake but I think it looks really cute and matched what she asked for.

dukeswalker Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 20

Thats what I was thinking until my daughter walks in the room and says "I'm not sayin' anything..." then proceeds to cover THAT up with "its cute and all - just....well....it doesn't look like a slot machine. Just a really pretty design on a cake." icon_confused.gif

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:09am
post #4 of 20

I think the round is ok - maybe a second tier next time so that you can have a place where the "change" falls out of under the panel? Beautiful work icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 20

I did not see it as a slot machine until I saw the handle...can you put some kind of design on it to make it look a little more 'Vegas'? Where is the slot for the coins? Where is the name of the slot machine?

It is a beautiful cake, but if it is to be a slot machine, I would "slot" it up a bit! I love your lettering and roses...it truly is a beautiful ladies cake.

ChrisJack1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 20

Maybe you could put lilac and/or silver diamonds around it?

dukeswalker Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:19am
post #7 of 20

originally I wanted to put "60" in the slot machine windows in a vegas-type font - but she requested roses....gah! Not sure where I could add anything - its only an 8in cake. Any suggestions???

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #8 of 20

I agree it is a very beautiful cake. Very nicely done.

However, I agree that it doesn't really look like a slot machine.
If I didn't have your description of the cake my first thought would not have been a slot machine.

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #9 of 20

I think It follows what she was looking for. She asked for slot machine inspired... not a slot machine. Its a well done cake, and she wanted a round 8" cake... theres only so much that can be done with that. I think you did great.

dukeswalker Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #10 of 20

Leave it up to my creative kid to come up with a workable idea....I'm making a semi-circle sign to put on the back part of the cake - its sky blue with lilac lettering that says "JACKPOT" on it....something I can add without totally altering the look of it AND without adding too much time (time = $ icon_wink.gif ). I live in a very dry climate - hopefully its dry enough to dry MMF/tylose in 24 hours on a foam pad! Plus, I can bring it to her and have her decide if she would like to add it on or not.... Thanks for your honest input everyone....you all said what I was thinking... icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:46am
post #11 of 20

What a great idea for the Jackpot sign...that will really help and I like that you're going to make it optional for the customer!

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:55am
post #12 of 20

The jackpot idea is great! I think your cake is very well done and beautiful. You're right, it doesn't scream slot machine, but it whispers it and if that's what your client wants that it can't be wrong. I like how your making it optional to your client...very good idea!

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:07pm
post #13 of 20

I love this cake, beautiful roses, how do you get you piping so neat, thats something I struggle with? x

ChrisJack1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 20

Maybe we could see a pic of the sign? (she asks sheepishly) hahaha I bet it's just as beautiful as the rest of the cake! icon_smile.gif

lutie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

Leave it up to my creative kid to come up with a workable idea....I'm making a semi-circle sign to put on the back part of the cake - its sky blue with lilac lettering that says "JACKPOT" on it....something I can add without totally altering the look of it AND without adding too much time (time = $ icon_wink.gif ). I live in a very dry climate - hopefully its dry enough to dry MMF/tylose in 24 hours on a foam pad! Plus, I can bring it to her and have her decide if she would like to add it on or not.... Thanks for your honest input everyone....you all said what I was thinking... icon_smile.gif

What a great idea! It will work! I know you cannot use this now, but I read somewhere on CC to put your MMF/tylose in the oven overnight with the light on...so I did it on 3 little polar bears for a Christmas cake...they were perfectly dry the next morning...the oven light really puts out 'soft heat'...perfect to dry the figures for our cakes.

dukeswalker Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #16 of 20

I just delivered the cake but the client chose to wait until she gets to her mom's house before putting on the "Jackpot" sign... thus, no completed pic. She did seem very happy, commented on how time consuming it must have been and that her mom will love it. icon_smile.gif

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:45am
post #17 of 20

Awesome!

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:22am
post #18 of 20

See no worries icon_rolleyes.gif

lutie Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:59pm
post #19 of 20

Yes, your cake was lovely! I am sure her mother was more than pleased!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

Thats what I was thinking until my daughter walks in the room and says "I'm not sayin' anything..." then proceeds to cover THAT up with "its cute and all - just....well....it doesn't look like a slot machine. Just a really pretty design on a cake." icon_confused.gif

The cake is very nice and exactly what the customer asked for.....this comment about your daughter cracks me up, I have a 15 yr old daughter and she is my very harshest critic and it's not that she comes right out to say my cakes are ugly but she says funny little things like: "did they WANT that???" "um, is that cake supposed to look that way?" or when I ask her what she thinks of a cake, she will sometimes shrug and say, "well, I guess it's okay".... bottom line is if the customer is happy with it and I'm sure this customer will be very pleased icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%