Rant: If One More Person Sends Me A Pic...

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm by Zahrah

imakecakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #1 of 25

If one more person sends me a pic of a 3+ tiered cake and then says they only need to serve 12-15 people, I think I'll scream!!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

24 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 25

LOL, You should say no problem. 6 inch cake, jumbo cupcake, cupcakeicon_smile.gif and charge them $60 or moreicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

People are so weird!

andreamen1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:53am
post #3 of 25

Ive had one person tell me it was for 4ppl

mahal50881 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #4 of 25

just had someone email me about a 3-D camera cake for 10 people. So not worth the time it will take to make something like that and no doubt, they think it will only cost $20-$30 because it's only for 10 people.

LKing12 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:59am
post #5 of 25

As long as I am being paid-I don't care if they even eat the thing!

cakelady2266 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #6 of 25

Oh yes the three tiered cake to serve 15 people for $20 epidemic. I don't care if they eat it or dance on it but they don't seem to want to pay the price for it.

CakeswLove Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #7 of 25

Well a co-worker asked me if I had ever made a Yoda cake? I got extremely excited as she continued to tell me it was for her son who is a Stars Wars fanatic, ok I said then she asked could you make him fighting with a lifesaver in his hands? Of course I said, then she dropped the ball........I want a 3D cake of Yoda and its for 4 people ! WHAT ? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif 4 people? Yes she said for me my husband, my son and his girlfriend tapedshut.gificon_cry.gif

dldbrou Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #8 of 25

Just tell them you do not turn on your oven for under $xxx.xx. If they want to pay your minimum cost, then let them have left over cake.

VickiChicki Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:41am
post #9 of 25

OMG - I can so feel your frustration. WHEN IN THE HELL are people going to realize that this is ART that is edible. They can set the cake aside and NOT eat it if they "SO" choose, but the time that goes into creating the desires "of their hearts" needs to be accounted for and as cake artists we need to be compensated for that time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN - let's put this into some kind of REAL perspective... what do you think the "per hour pay" boils down to for a professional athelete?????? Fans pay X # of $$$$$ to go see them play and/or pay X # of $$$$$$$$$$$ for their licensed merchandise and don't blink an eye.... but just let a cake artist quote a price of $100 for a cake to feed 50 people that you have put a minimum of 3 days work into...adding up to 36 labor hours. Now deduct your expenses and the hours you have put into creating this WORK OF ART THAT PEOPLE GET TO EAT AND ENJOY from the price you charged and guess what you are left with?????????????? $0.00 PROFIT.......knowing you did a magnificent JOB that others got to enjoy whiile you had to consider how you were going to pay your bills at the end of the month or HOW
DO YOU GO ABOUT FILING FOR BANKRUPTCY??????????? (Sorry - just venting for a moment here!)

silverdragon997 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #10 of 25

I have a form on my website that people can fill out to get a quote, and one of the questions on my form asks what their budget is. It's always amusing to get an email from someone wanting a cake for 90 people but their budget is only $150.00. I politely answer these requests telling them what my minimum per serving is, and what a cake for 90 at that minimum would cost. That was one I got today, and from someone who was referred to me by a caterer I've made cakes for before. Apparently they didn't discuss cost before she gave them my contact info...

chefjess819 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeswLove

Well a co-worker asked me if I had ever made a Yoda cake? I got extremely excited as she continued to tell me it was for her son who is a Stars Wars fanatic, ok I said then she asked could you make him fighting with a lifesaver in his hands? Of course I said, then she dropped the ball........I want a 3D cake of Yoda and its for 4 people ! WHAT ? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif 4 people? Yes she said for me my husband, my son and his girlfriend tapedshut.gificon_cry.gif

it doesnt matter to me if it's for 4 people or if the person wants to gobble the whole thing themselves. icon_lol.gif it still takes a certain amount of cake to get the design right...that is what i would charge them for...if i bake 5 8"rounds to achieve the cake, they get charged for those cakes. people think that bakeries price per person...WRONG-O! icon_cool.gif

cathyscakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #12 of 25

I do love the look of minature cakes though. 6" 4" 2" on a white pedistal, I wish someone would ask me to make one. I think it would serve 12. They would definitely need to understand how small it would be though.

Sorelle Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:17am
post #13 of 25

I just had a lady call and want a Hippo cake "like the ones in the movie "Fantasia" My first question is "what is your budget?" she says well it only need to be a "personal size" She wants me to make a hippo cake like a personal pizza for one person how the heck do I make a sculpted cake for one person?! Whata nut!

JPMitchell Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:52am
post #14 of 25

Lol!!! So funny!! I get that all the time!! I did actually have a woman contact me sunday about a WOW cake to give as a gift to a couple for the arrival of their newborn girl. I was like Oh Yea! I have tons of cute ideas I could make a teddy bear with all the seaming or baby blocks, ext.... I let her know I have a minimum of 20 servings and pricings...... and she wrote me back "but there is only four in the family, I only need it for four. How much would that be?". icon_eek.gif I about died! Did you not just read what I wrote!!! Hilarious! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

I have a form on my website that people can fill out to get a quote, and one of the questions on my form asks what their budget is. It's always amusing to get an email from someone wanting a cake for 90 people but their budget is only $150.00. I politely answer these requests telling them what my minimum per serving is, and what a cake for 90 at that minimum would cost. That was one I got today, and from someone who was referred to me by a caterer I've made cakes for before. Apparently they didn't discuss cost before she gave them my contact info...

My blog article where they can't even do the math ($2 per person ..... 250 people .... budget is $150. When did "$2 x 250" start being only $150?) http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20The%20Math

Hubby had a co-worker who LUV'D my snickerdoodle cookies. One day I didn't put them in the order. She was good-naturedly livid! Hubby said, "Do you know how hard it is to divide an egg to make a one-cookie-batch-of-dough?" She said, "No ... how hard is it?" He said, "YOU CANT DO IT! THAT"S WHY YOU DONT HAVE A COOKIE!" icon_lol.gif

Cake for 4 .... I want to see them take a cake mix and make a cake for 4.

dumba$$es. dunce.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #16 of 25

Once upon a time I had a bride who was eloping -- it would be bride, groom, grooms parents and two sisters. That's what, six people plus the pastor, right? So she tries to order from me a cake that had for a base a 14 and 10 inch squares stacked, then huge pillars, then a stacked cake on top of the pillars consisting of (at least) a 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch rounds. For six people??? icon_eek.gif When I confronted her with this -- you'll have cake for like 1000 people she replied "but I like cake." icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif Any and all suggestions afterward fell on deaf ears and even the grooms family said "she's weird." Fast forward to today -- they had an 8 inch round from a grocery store for the wedding cake, she had a baby within the first year and was divorced by their second anniversary. icon_confused.gif Ah well... icon_rolleyes.gif

Corrie76 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:46pm
post #17 of 25

LOL icon_lol.gif at OP! Yes, I may also get to the point of slapping some sense into these people...even last night, I had a request for a "mini" 3 tier cake...and not because they were only serving 4 ppl...they just didn't like my price....then they went on to try and order "mini" cupcakes (she doesn't like my prices on the reg. size cupcakes), which I don't even offer and then also asked for cake balls when I specifically told this customer twice in the last two months that I do not offer cake balls. this lady is having over 50 guests for a combined first birthday party for two little girls and she's trying to save money by going "mini".
By the time we were done consulting (and,yet again, re-educating), she ended up ordering a three tiered cake anyways. icon_razz.gif
The thing that really galls me, is that this chick is RICH!! In fact all my low-balling customers are the wealthy ones...the regular joes out there are the ones who never argue my price, and usually tip to boot. I guess that's why the rich are rich though, they hold tight to their money icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:49pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie76

The thing that really galls me, is that this chick is RICH!! In fact all my low-balling customers are the wealthy ones...the regular joes out there are the ones who never argue my price, and usually tip to boot. I guess that's why the rich are rich though, they hold tight to their money icon_lol.gif

BUT -- did she tell you "but you don't seem to understand, I want a 6 FOOT TALL wedding cake and I DON'T want to pay that kind of $$$$ for it!" ??? tapedshut.gif (My rich broad did!) icon_lol.gif

Tor1985 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #19 of 25

Some people get it and others don't. Making speciality cakes is an art. The people that get it will pay for it and the ones that don't go to Walmart.

Gotta love the people that want a nice cake but for only a couple of people and for only a couple of dollars. I had a lady want a coach purse cake for 6 people, I had to explain, nicely, that it takes almost the same amount of time to carve and decorate a small 6" cake as it does a 12" cake, you use a little more supplies but come on.....it's not worth my time.
I have just started making cakes and selling them and I'm calling this first year my weeding year....weeding out all the people who don't understand or appreciate what I can create.....the others go to Walmart icon_smile.gif

cakelady2266 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 25

I just got an email with 2 pictures attached. One is 3 tier the other 4 tier, she instructed me they only wanted 2 tiers but with this design. The whole thing is wrapped in overlapping fondant strips. I explained the price was double because of the fondant work. BUT WHY? Because it's more work I explain----More work equals more money it's that simple. Dumb***es

imakecakes Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 11:15am
post #21 of 25

You guys are funny. Thanks for making me feel better and that I'm not alone!

imakecakes Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 11:15am
post #22 of 25

You guys are funny. Thanks for making me feel better and that I'm not alone!

cakification Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 7:20pm
post #23 of 25

I got an email at 2am on Saturday morning ( I happened to be up ) and the lady says she needed a two-tier cake underwater themed cake, completel with sculpted scuba divers, fish, ECT.. And she needs it by Monday morning.. LOL.. OH, and its for 6 people.... More LOL'ing! I'm not a professional baker, and normally I just make for friends or family, so I just charge the cost of my ingredients.. But this lady wasn't family, so I quoted her a VERY reasonable price ( you guys would shoot me if you knew what i quoted her ) and she had the NERVE to say she could never pay that much for just a cake.. "what if you just made a simple cake with fondant bows and flowers?"
I of course did not make a cake for this lady, but I just had to shake my head. In the end I quoted one of the very wise ladies on this site "walmart, aisle 8"

cake_architect Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:42am
post #24 of 25

hahaha ya'll are too funny! cakification, like you i'm no pro and only make cakes for friends but somehow a lady (friends mom's friend kinda thing) got my email and sent me a message saying she wanted a wedding cake for 40 people, a grooms cake, and for me to deliver it over 3 hours away. AND she wanted to stay under $70. WTH?!?!?! I can't stop talking to my bf and family about how ridiculous some people are lol! It'd take over $70 in gas just for me to get a cake up there!!!

Zahrah Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #25 of 25

Who was it that said, "Cheap cakes aren't good. Good cakes aren't cheap." ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%