Oh Baby!!!

Lounge By emrldsky Updated 3 May 2011 , 1:57pm by Rachie204

emrldsky Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 38

So, I had a doctor's appointment last week where they measured me and my OB looked at me and said, "Well, you're measuring ahead by quite a bit. In fact, at 39wks." Last week I 35wks and 4 days. This week I'm measuring at 41wks, and I'm just 36wks and 5 days.

That being said, I was just told today that if I went into labor, they wouldn't stop it, and that they want to do an ultrasound to check the size of the baby. If the baby is measuring large, they may induce at 39wks.

I'm not sure if I'm ready, lol. I mean, physically, I'm ready for this to be over (lots of discomfort and pain) but emotionally? Wow. Lots to take in.

I also realize that even using an US to determine size, it can be off by a couple of pounds either way.

Guess I just needed to get that off my chest, lol.

37 replies
Cupcations Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:14am
post #2 of 38

Wow it seems like its going to be a big baby congrats!! As you said the US always gives you a couple of pounds either way
My doc said ill be having a 7lbs baby MAX, he ended up to be 8.12lbs, to me the bigger the better icon_biggrin.gif
I hope it all goes smoothly & you and baby are well & healthy
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:43am
post #3 of 38

My son was 10 lb. 13 oz. You can do it! Push, mamma, push! lol

Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:27am
post #4 of 38

At 40 weeks I was told my baby was over 4 kgs, she had not dropped yet and it could be a further 2 weeks, before my body would go into labor or had to be induced, and (because I wanted a natural birth) the doc told me, she would leave me in labout for around 24 hrs max before cutting. She told me the baby would have an approx, weight of 5+ kgs and I was too small for that. Even at 4 kgs, her head was too large to come down into the pelvis, which is why she was "stuck" up there. Well I had a caesarian and my daughter only weighed in at 3280 grms, not even the 4kgs. Apparently they measured the head and tummy and from that, calculated the weight. With a big head and la large tummy, the measurements were well off. Otherwise she was completely normal and growing into a beautiful and intelligent young teen.

Just wanted to say, not everything the docs say is right, so don't let that scare you

miss_sweetstory Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:51am
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I'm not sure if I'm ready, lol. I mean, physically, I'm ready for this to be over (lots of discomfort and pain) but emotionally? Wow. Lots to take in.

None of us is ever ready for the reality of children. REALLY!

Relax the best that you can. You'll soon have a beautiful bundle (big or small) and one day you'll realize that you are actually doing just fine.

Lots of hugs from across the pond!

Ann

emrldsky Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #6 of 38

Thanks everyone! I just expected she wouldn't be here until April, but with the docs talking inducement...gah!

I know that my doctors will do what's best for me and the baby, and they really don't take inducement lightly. Our secretary goes to the same place and with her last baby, they waited until she was two weeks past due before even mentioning inducement. They also let HER make that choice.

Then again, she wasn't measuring ahead by a couple of weeks. :/ I was SPOT ON with all my measurements until last week, so this was unexpected and has the doctors a bit worried. I know it could just be excess amniotic fluid, but she really could be bigger than we anticipated. I mean, my mom had big babies. icon_wink.gif

I'm also trying to keep in mind that my mom was induced with my brother and myself (our oldest brother was over 10lbs and natural birth), and she didn't end up with a c-section. So we'll see what happens.

Just a bit nervous, that's all. icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:37am
post #7 of 38

Keep calm, that's the best for the baby AND for you

Ever heard of the song: What will be, will be?

We were all nervous with our children, especially the first, there is nothing wrong with that

We are here, if you need someone to talk to

cheatize Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 38

Que sera, sera! Whatever will be, will be. The future's not our's to see.

Thanks, Ursula40, I'll be singing that all day. lol

emrldsky Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 38

Well, yesterday was the doctor's appointment and tomorrow is the ultrasound! The doctor measured me and although he said I'm still at 41CM, he did say that the 42nd cm would be in my ribs, so even my growing has run out of room. lol

He checked and I'm 40% effaced and 1CM dilated, so that means I can go any time or I could go past due. icon_wink.gif

During the ultrasound, they'll be doing the growth scan to try and gauge size. I know it's imperfect, but I've accepted that if they recommend inducing, I'll go for it. I would rather try a "natural" birth than end up with an emergency c-section because she got too big. Better safe than sorry, right?

In the meantime, I'm still working full time at my job, but I am almost done with her mobile. icon_biggrin.gif It's cupcakes. icon_wink.gif

-Tubbs Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 38

Is this your first baby?
I had exactly this situation with my third, after two l-a-t-e babies (11 and 12 days overdue). The late ultrasound showed he was very big so I allowed myself to be talked into an induction, despite the fact that a midwife also examined me manually and thought he was average size. I have to say I wouldn't recommend that induction. It took nearly two days to get going, and I almost ended up with an emergency c-section. In the end my baby was only 8lb - the midwife was right.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. It's an exciting and exhausting time!

emrldsky Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:06am
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Is this your first baby?
I had exactly this situation with my third, after two l-a-t-e babies (11 and 12 days overdue). The late ultrasound showed he was very big so I allowed myself to be talked into an induction, despite the fact that a midwife also examined me manually and thought he was average size. I have to say I wouldn't recommend that induction. It took nearly two days to get going, and I almost ended up with an emergency c-section. In the end my baby was only 8lb - the midwife was right.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. It's an exciting and exhausting time!

Yes, it's our first. My biggest deciding factor is really looking at my mom's history. My oldest brother was well over 10lbs, but he was two weeks late. My other brother and myself were shy of 8lbs, but we were induced 3 wks early for a different issue (RH factor). We both would have been 9+lbs at full term.

I think my doctor really wants to avoid a c-section if they can. If I had my choice, I think induction would be better, because then it's not major surgery.

I'll definitely make an informed decision, icon_smile.gif

ladyellam Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #12 of 38

When they measured me on my last day, he was measuring over 14 lbs! They had to shrink all of his measurements because they didn't go that high lol. Thank God he was only 10 lbs. I had to have a C section because he was/is a big headed monkey baby/now 6 year old boy. Measurements can be off and just relax (I know you can't right now but try) but in no time you will have a wonderful bundle of joy.

My mom was 5' 1" weighed 85 pounds soaking wet, got pregnant with my sister, gained 85 pounds and gave birth(naturally) to a 13lb 11oz amazon. She was so big that they couldn't put her into the incubator! My mom said she was the easiest of all her labours.

cheatize Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:59am
post #13 of 38

Rh factor? They didn't give her Rhogam? I got a shot of Rhogam during all three pregnancies and again afterwards because I'm - and my husband is +. Ahh, I remember it well! Bend over the bed, point toes inward, pull down the britches a bit, and brace yourself! lol

emrldsky Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:22am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Rh factor? They didn't give her Rhogam? I got a shot of Rhogam during all three pregnancies and again afterwards because I'm - and my husband is +. Ahh, I remember it well! Bend over the bed, point toes inward, pull down the britches a bit, and brace yourself! lol

They kind of messed up. She got the shot with my oldest brother (this was late 70s, early 80s, btw) and they did amnio to test my other brother and they messed that up and thought he was the same blood type as my mom and didn't give her the shot. And I was an oops, completely unexpected. We all managed to survive, but I was the sickliest one. I had to have two blood transfusions in 1982, shortly after birth.

And many of us over the age of 25 know what news broke in 1987 regarding donated blood and transfusions. *sigh* My poor parents, lol.

SammieB Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 38

I know it can be intimidating to hear "big baby", but these ladies are right. If you don't feel comfortable being induced, wait it out a little (assuming there's no emergencies). My first was measuring 10 lbs. On her due date with no signs of wanting to be born yet. They were worried about her size, so I was induced 3 days later. All went just fine, and my healthy 9lb9oz very long baby was born with no complications. So when my second baby was measuring about the same I waited 2 weeks past due to get induced. I was 5cm dilated that whole time, having contractions daily, and my 9lb14oz very long baby still didn't want to come out. I really wanted natural childbirth for them both, so even with the past due dates and sizes I wish I hadn't let myself be talked into induction. Everything went fine with both!

If it dosn't happen as soon as you'd like, remember no one is pregnant forever! That baby has to come out some time! I wish you all the best! icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 38

We were Rhesus incompatible as well (hubby and I) and I was pregnant in the 1990s. As I nurse I knew about the problem, but at the time, we were living in Korea, I got both shots in HK (the one during and the one AFTER pregnancy, no way was I going to give birth in a country, which did not have my bloodgroup, nor the Rhesogam) Turned out it was a good decision, as in Korea they were desperately looking for my bloodgroup at the time I was about to give birth, Plus they did not have either Rhesogam, nor were they willing to import it)

My daughter is positive, so I needed both shots, and in HK I at least knew my brother had the same blood group as I have, should anything should happen (didn't) but as an "older mother" you never know

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 38

When my mom was pregnant each time her baby's got bigger and bigger .. Then I came along .. I was the last one, and I was 20 day's overdue .. and the dr kept telling her I was going to be her biggest baby yet (my brother born before me was over 10 pounds) .. my mom said she braced for the worst and out I came! The smallest one of 'em all!

Hope it all goes well for you!

emrldsky Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #18 of 38

Like I said, I'll definitely make an informed decision either way. There's no guarantee that the doctor will suggest induction, but it was merely mentioned.

Anyway....the growth scan ultrasound today estimates her current weight at.....9lbs, 13oz!!!!

The tech did state that it's not 100% accurate and she really seemed interested to know her real weight, lol. We did verify gender (because I was paranoid), but overall she's healthy, perfectly fine to come any day (diaphragm is already moving on its own!!), and now we just wait to hear from the doctor. *sigh*

I'll listen to what she has to say and go from there. Personally, I think Amber is probably closer to 8lbs, but that's just my gut.

Enchantedcakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 38

My gandfather was born at 15lbs 4 oz and was born at home, when the DR came to the house my great grandmother was cooking dinner, (it is noted on his birth certificate.. they were having pot roast.) She gave birth to 10 children all at home (several were sets of twins) so I thought well if she can handle that I can handle my baby, he was 8lbs 2 oz and his head was too large and got stuck and I had to have an emergancy C section, Found out l I have an unusally small pelvis and would have to have a c section for all of my children. I like it I schedle a day I go in I have a baby I like to stay on schedlue I don't like surpirses so it works for me. My grandfather still made jokes...

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #20 of 38

Just had my second son on the 14th & they had estimated him weighing 7# 2 oz. He weighed 8# 14oz & was a wk early. They had also measured me 1 wk prior to delivery & said that I was only measuring @ 34 wks. This freaked me out a little until the MD did an ultrasnd & said the reasoning was that the baby was so far down into the pelvis. The ultrasnd & measurements are "estimates".
I was in labor with my 1st son for 26hrs & had an epidural @ delivery. I was in labor with this one for around 3 hrs & progressed very quickly!! When I got to the hospital, I was already fully dilated. No epidural this time. It was so quick that it wasn't as bad as some of the horror stories that I have heard about a "natural" birth. I was up walking around in 2hrs & feeling pretty good.
Good luck with your delivery! It's a good idea to have a "birth plan", but keep in mind that it may not go as planned.

emrldsky Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 11:08pm
post #21 of 38

Well, met with the doctor yesterday afternoon (one of the three OBs I see in the practice), and the one we met with we really like, but we also know he's extremely conservative. I'm OK with that, but I'm also losing patience, lol.

He leveled with me, said the ultrasounds can be extremely inaccurate, to which I replied that my own research states it can be off 2 pounds in either direction. He agreed, and said that right now, he's not seeing an urgency to try and push me into labor. He wants to take the wait and see approach. He said he'd be more concerned if the estimate was in the 12+lb range.

I'm really OK with that, but at the same time I'm a bit disappointed because I'm extremely uncomfortable. I'm only 5'2", Amber has NOT dropped at all, and just by feel he's guessing she's closer to 8-9lbs, not the 10+lbs the ultrasound estimated. I'm a petite girl, but I am so miserable walking around with a kid who really isn't ready to descend any lower. If she would just drop, I'd breathe easier (literally...she's up in my ribs causing my lung capacity to be crap).

I know BILLIONS of women have been through this, and that I'm not unique in my complaints, but I want a pity party, lol. I'm also losing patience and without having any clue as to when she might be here, my boss is really reluctant to let me take vacation until she's here and my FMLA can start.

So, after all that (not to mention the fact that we'll most likely be charged out of pocket for the ultrasound because my workplace chose the worst insurance plan ever), we're at the "wait and see" stage of things. :/

lecrn Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:25am
post #22 of 38

I know that you're uncomfortable, but you don't want to rush things along as long as both mom & baby are doing okay. I've heard that an induction hurts a lot more than going into labor on your own. My doctor said that if the cervix is not ready (starting to dilate & efface), early inductions create longer labor times and higher incidence of c-sections.
I'm a little person too and was very uncomfortable with this pregnancy. I think that I dropped around 34 or 35 wks & could breathe a lot better. At 32 wks the baby laying on my ureter caused me to have kidney hydronephrosis (which was the worst pain that I had in my life). I had to be hospitalized 2 nights & get IV pain meds. Thank God that resolved in 2 wks. I was sick most of the pregnancy & had to drink protein shakes to gain wgt. Also the last 2 months of pregnancy, I had nausea, diarrhea, and heart burn so bad that I had to go on BRAT diet just to keep anything down.
After all my suffering, I still elected not to be induced until my due date. I so happened to go into labor 1 wk early.

emrldsky Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:49am
post #23 of 38

So, still no baby! lol Which is ok. My due date is tomorrow, so I'm not sure when she'll decide to come.

Met with my primary OB yesterday, checked my progress. I'm now 80% effaced, 2cm dilated and little girl has her head down (she keeps popping back out of the pelvis every now and then though).

Anywho, if she doesn't come on her own before next week, I have another appt. on Monday morning to check progress. If my OB isn't happy with my progress, she really wants to schedule a c-section, since she doesn't want me going back 41 wks (which would be next Thursday).

I asked about induction IF there is progress and she's willing to try it. But that's a big IF.

All that being said, prayers, thoughts, etc. for this girl to make her appearance between now and Monday. icon_smile.gif I'd rather go naturally, if I can.

TheCakerator Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:25am
post #24 of 38

how exciting! Come on out Amber Marie!

m0use Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 38

Hope things turned out well for you and your new bundle of joy! Can't wait for an update icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #26 of 38

I am actually in the hospital now being induced. icon_smile.gif so far, so good.

Been here since 7 this morning, pitocin was started around 8, and at 1 the doctor broke my water.

Hopefully she will be here in a few more hours.

TheCakerator Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #27 of 38

how funny to be on CC when in labor icon_lol.gif you know that girl is coming out a cake addict!

m0use Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #28 of 38

rofl yup definitely gonna be mommy's little CC addict
Let us know how things went after she's born and concentrate on yourself now icon_wink.gif

emrldsky Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:49pm
post #29 of 38

After 28 hours of induced labor, Amber was finally here via csection at 12:33 pm Wednesday! She weighed in at 9lbs and 3oz and is 21 inches long. If you can't see the picture, let me know.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215180_10100480893063378_13714944_59428412_5955687_n.jpg

Cupcations Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:35pm
post #30 of 38

Awwwwwwe shes beautifull!! Congrats & hope you & baby are both healthy thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%