Peanut Butter Frosting That I Can Decorate With??

Baking By rayndeer Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 11:49pm by CiNoRi

rayndeer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayndeer Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #1 of 5

hey everybody. i am new to cake central, but i have been making cakes for a while. i usually use a plain vanilla icing recipe( 1 stick butter,softened, 1 & 1/2 cups shortening, 4 tbsp milk, 2 tsp vanilla flavoring, and 1 2lb bag powdered sugar). i love this recipe, very easy to spread, easy to do flowers with and to pipe decorations on cakes. but i need a peanut butter variation of this. one that i will be able to drop-flower a cake with. i generally do 3-D cakes and i need a peanut butter recipe that does what the vanilla icing does...gets harder overnight and stays where i put it. if anybody can help me, i would appreciate it very much! i have been doing cakes for almost 10 years and am just now getting requests for peanut butter flavored icing!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 5

I'd be all for whipping a cup or so of peanut butter into that very icing recipe. Peanut butter at room temperature is somewhere between the consistency of butter and shortening, which are both ingredients that you use for this icing, so why wouldn't it be about the same consistency as it already is? In fact, I had planned to do just that for my next cake, because I love peanut butter and am always trying to find a version of buttercream that isn't as sweet as the standard one. Please let me know if you find something that works, and I'll let you know what happened with my little experiment.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, watch which brand you use though. I would stick with Jif as it is thicker than Peter Pan or Skippy.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 5

I use my regular buttercream recipe and it works well. I just add peanut butter until it is peanut buttery enough for me icon_smile.gif haha Usually around a cup or so of peanut butter. This is the recipe I use (its Serious Cakes Recipe) So I would think it wouldnt be a problem to just add peanut butter to you recipe! Good Luck!

22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. Crisco shortening
5-8 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 5

Will this work under fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%