Tylose Substitute?

Decorating By schustc Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 9:03pm by jgifford

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 15

hi all - I am looking to make marshmallow fondant stiffer - to make arms for a 3D cake..

I found gum paste powder and was wondering if I can use this instead? the local craft store didnt have tylose. I picked this up and was hoping to substitute it for the tylose.

Thoughts?

thank you!!

tina

14 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:13am
post #2 of 15

Tylose is normally added to fondant in small quantities to make it stronger. It sounds like the 'gum paste powder' you found is a gumpaste pre-mix (ie a mix that you add water to make gumpaste). You could certainly make the fondant as normal, and make up the pre-mix gumpaste as per the directions and then mix the two together. A lot of people use a 50:50 mix of the two in place of just straight gumpaste.

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #3 of 15

Yes you can also add the gumtex to fondant to aid in drying time.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #4 of 15

Gum paste mix is usually powdered sugar, dried egg whites, and a gum such as tylose, cmc, gum karya (gum tex), or gum tragacanth.

If you add it to your MMF, you may need to add more than if you used just the tylose and you may need to compensate for the added PS. Other than that, it should work fine--others have written before that it works.

Rae

schustc Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:33am
post #5 of 15

thank you everyone! i thought i had bought it but put it back thinking it wasnt what i needed. i believe it was gum tex. it had a recipe on the back to make gum paste. now i am mad at myself for not buying it - i kept wavering on whether to get it and put it back icon_sad.gif does anyone know if it will keep 3d arms from drooping when mixed with fondant? will it be strong enough for that? what ratio gum tex to fondant it best?

thanks again!!

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #6 of 15

Yes, gum tex will work.

Sorry, but I have no idea how much you'll need with MMF. I use it with Wilton, SI, or FondX.

I'd start with 1tsp./lb. and add more a little at a time, if necessary.

HTH
Rae

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #7 of 15

I recently learned on CC that you can use Fixodent denture powder. I tested it this week and it works great!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:43am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlanet

I recently learned on CC that you can use Fixodent denture powder. I tested it this week and it works great!

My only concern with this is it's not food safe. And as soon as you use it that will be the cake where someone decided to taste whatever was sculpted It was know to have a zinc poisoning in it

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:59am
post #9 of 15

Welll.......people are putting this up against their gums everyday and undoubtedly ingesting small amounts of it.......The mouth is highly vascular, so it absorbs things very quickly & efficiently.....

I looked at the ingrredients list, and nothing looks to cause much concern if someone ingested something made out of a batch containing a few teaspoons.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16003390

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it was all I had available.

JMHO
Rae

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:12am
post #10 of 15

Blake you have that option however, it's not worth risking getting sued for a quick fix Why risk it? The company was sued because of the damaged that was caused & every nursing home & hospital I've ever worked in will not use it for this very reason. Food Safe products is always the best way to go.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:26am
post #11 of 15

I'm a firm advocate of food safe products, and have posted as such on this board for several years.

The product remains on the shelves. The issue with the zinc in it is a result of longterm/large quantity use, and can, in no way be compared to a small amount being used in a quantity of fondant as a drying/hardening agent. Zicam, which also has had issues with zinc, also remains in use and on shelves.

To each his/her own.

Rae

schustc Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:45am
post #12 of 15

I want to sincerely thank all of you for the input! It is a LOT to consider! The cake is a 3D dinosaur cake. My first attempt of the kind, and a lot of trial and error have gone into it.

Basically, we need enough to feed 15 people, and this thing if I made it entirely edible would probably have fed at least 50. that said, I didn't take much precaution covering the PVC pipe and dowels before applying the RKT - mainly because those head, legs, and tail won't get eaten. I'm doing them days in advance and letting them harden. the belly will have some edible RKT for filler, since I' not feeeding an army (if I had to do in all cakes, it would have taken me 4 boxes of cake mix or something like that - as it is I did 3 boxes cake mix - which is crazy to feed 15 people - lol.

it's only family, and I'll be cutting/serving it, so no worries on who eats what really.

That said however, I would like to get the gum tex to try it - but the denure powder might be a quick dirty fix for this first trial and error cake. the only problem is I don't know what I'd do for the left over denture powder. don't have anyone that I know of that uses it. I am greatly appreciative of your input!

the arms probably are only going to take about a handful of fondant, so it'll be trial and error. any idea if it dries it out and cracks it? or just hardens it? the Gum tex that is - I am hoping to get back to the craft store if possible to pick it up.

thank you so much again!!

safura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safura Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlanet

Hey I am out of tylose and in bad need of fondant. but have fixodent denture powder handy.. how do i use it to make fondant?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 15

the arms probably are only going to take about a handful of fondant, so it'll be trial and error. any idea if it dries it out and cracks it? or just hardens it? the Gum tex that is - I am hoping to get back to the craft store if possible to pick it up.

The gum tex will make your fondant stronger and dry faster. But if arms are "in the air" and not supported, you may need a toothpick for support.[/quote] thumbs_up.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 15

The lawsuit was over poligrip which is a different product and it was filed by people who had this stuff in their mouths all day every day for years. I hardly think a one-time use would be grounds for a lawsuit. But then I don't agree with a lot of things people sue over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%