Am I Wrong To Be Resentful?

Business By MamaMia808 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 4:32am by jason_kraft

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #31 of 49

I guess I might feel differently if I invested so much money, I'm just saying you could give them a warning first if it bothers you. I know, when my mother in law and I started making cakes in the 70"s, we didn't know it was illegal. We mostly made for family, but sometimes we were paid. Had no idea it was illegal, or if it was, it wasn't high up on the list to prosecute. Not until I came on cc, did I really know what could happen. I was pretty naive, and people in my community don't understand the problem either, when you tell them that you aren't legal. They think its silly. They know I have a clean house, and think its just cake, so what could go wrong. This has been discussed to death, and with all the people on here with legal business, there are strong opinions, so I was just bringing the other side.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

I was merely stating as anyone can read, I dont have the heart to turn people in, people dont know everyones circustances in life or what they are trying to achieve

Can you clarify which life circumstances or goals someone should have that would allow them to run an illegal business?

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #33 of 49

Turn them in, hands down.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #34 of 49

Way to go Jason. There is no excuse for committing a crime. I can't stand it when people say "but you don't know what their circumstances are" We don't get to choose what laws we want to obey and which ones we want to ignore, that is not how our society works.

yodasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yodasmom Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #35 of 49

Nope. You are not wrong at all to be resentful. The law is the law. I am a hobby baker and only make cakes for friends and family as gifts, not that some of my friends don't give me money as a donation for the costs. I have had people ask me to sell them a cake and I have refused stating that "I am not a legal baker, when that changes I will let them know." I just don't want to risk it by baking illegally. My karma, historically, always leads to the rediculous. So I know I would be fined right off the bat. And right now I am just not in a place to invest the kind of money to be legal. So untill I am I will hone my skills and experiment on friends and family.

So, in a nut shell. Turn them in! You worked hard to be liscensed and deserve the benefits of operating legally. IE-having paying customer.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #36 of 49

What gets me is how many CC'ers post pictures of cakes they've sold that are illegal to do so with the copyright restrictions, and how many of those cakes get rave reviews from other CC'ers with little or no mention of the law.

It's not my business how many illegal cakes people make and sell...just stop flaunting it on the forums, and the rest of us stop complimenting and oohing and ahhhing.

Having great talent doesn't make anyone of us above the law.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:35pm
post #37 of 49

How about in your advertisements start by saying something like, "The average bride/person doesn't know that it is ILLEGAL to operate a baking business out of one's private residence. It is for this reason that I rent space from a Health Dept certified commercial kitchen to do all of my cakes", etc. etc... That way it gets the message out to the public in your area AND it gets the message out to the other bakers that aren't following the rules that someone IS educating the public!! Then I would get a friend to start turning these bakers in to the Health department. Not only that, but ANY venue that allows one of the non-licensed bakers to bring one of their cakes onto the premises.

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #38 of 49

I am not going to support either side right now, but I have to say that it is frustrating to want to start a cake business and hear of so many of the current "big names" in cakes talk about how they started illegally and did not become legal until it started being a problem for them... and there is no way they would be the name they are now if they did not start out illegally. I have chosen not to sell my cakes illegally, and thus the frustration.... but how many of those illegal turned legal stories have we heard lately? In the last month or so I have heard at least 5-6 on tv (most notably Duff, but there are others). Not one of them mentioned being sorry that they started illegally and not one of the interviewers asked or seemed to care either.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:34pm
post #39 of 49

Funny how I started out venting and it became a poll on whether I should turn them in or not. icon_wink.gif I've considered it but this thread is making me think about it more carefully.

pat304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat304 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:21pm
post #40 of 49

To reply to your vent, no, I do not blame you for being resentful.

For the past year, I have been looking for commercial space to open a small kitchen - can't do it out of the home in MN, no rentable kitchens to be found. I'm looking at a minimum of $300,000 for a building that needs major renovations, not to mention all the commercial equipment necessary.

For years, I have been asked to make (sell) cakes and have turned down every request. BECAUSE IT'S NOT LEGAL for me to do so - and I explain that to them. BECAUSE IT'S NOT FAIR to those who have spent all the money they've spent, to establish and operate a legal business.

My "circumstances" are that I don't have $300,000+ to do what I love to do, even though I could really use that income . . . but my ethics are stronger than the easy way out.

I resent illegal kitchens very much.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

What gets me is how many CC'ers post pictures of cakes they've sold that are illegal to do so with the copyright restrictions, and how many of those cakes get rave reviews from other CC'ers with little or no mention of the law..

You are asuming those cakes were all sold? I do characters only for my own children's cakes, never to sell. And those pictures are here. So personally I do not assume everything I see here was sold or is automatically a copyright infringement because it has a character. We all have to be careful about not jumping to conclusions when we might not have all the information be it about licensing or copyright. Now I'm not saying that its OK to operate illegally (I feel the need to say that outright so no one can twist my words), just that unless you have proof that they are not legal it is just an assumption and personally I wouldn't call the authorities based on an assumption.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #42 of 49

If a baker was stealing from WalMart and grabbed "free" flour, butter, sugar and eggs... I certainly would "turn them in". I would not "live and let live" or "look the other way". Or worry about their life circumstances that lead them there...And certainly, that baker, would have an unfair competitive "edge" over me, not for skill or talent, but because he/ she violated the LAWS I comply with.

Why is this ever a discussion? The LAW is the LAW and in a civilized society, we all comply with the LAW or petition to change the LAW for everyone.

People who "look the other way", or "don't want to get involved" are the same poor citizens who refuse to step up a testify when they witness a crime. Or "don't want to get involved".

Come on... right is right, and wrong is wrong- regardless of who "gets caught". We (hopefully) all teach our children to "do the right thing". No?

Would I feel bad if the WalMart thief baker got caught and paid the penalty? No. Would I feel bad if the illegal kitchen/ tax evader/ inspection evader baker got caught and paid a penalty. no..... sorry.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #43 of 49

Today, I looked up "cake" in my city. I was amazed at how many illegal web sites I found. My husband and I went out to dinner this evening and I told him about this discussion and the illegal sites I found. He was FURIOUS! It was his $$$ that built my kitchen. He told me that if the local health department didn't shut them down, he would go to the state HD. I asked him if he thought the pharmacy forums had to put up with drug dealers telling them to be nice and leave those poor illegals alone. Just because they didn't finish high school or go to college shouldn't stop them of living their dream of selling drugs. Hey, they have bills too. We own four businesses. My husband is a physician and a land developer. We have rental properties and the bakery. He has NEVER over-billed an insurance company, we hire only licensed contractors, we report every cash rent payment, and I have never sold an illegal cake. Our taxes are enormous, but we would not ever consider any action that was even questionable. I'm glad we raised our children to be respectful of the law and to have an honest work ethic. Well, I don't have to make a decision about illegals. My husband, the businessman and bakery financer, will not rest until they are stopped.

sunshinecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinecake Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #44 of 49

Go get 'em, Javert!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:28am
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

I was merely stating as anyone can read, I dont have the heart to turn people in, people dont know everyones circustances in life or what they are trying to achieve

Can you clarify which life circumstances or goals someone should have that would allow them to run an illegal business?

I have read these threads about this legal vs. illegal debate many times. I have noticed one common theme. Everyone is so quick to judge others.

It is absolutely amazing to me how people think that their life circumstances are never going to be anything less than perfect. Life has a funny way of throwing things at you that you cannot anticipate and in no way prepare for. Never say that you won't ever do something. You have no way of predicting what tomorrow may bring.

Has anyone here ever thought that one selling cakes out of their home, even if it is illegal, could literally mean the difference in a life or death situation? Maybe they know it isn't legal and they aren't proud of the fact that they are doing something illegal. However, maybe their reasons for doing so, far outweigh any consequences they could face if they get caught selling cakes illegally. YOU DONT ALWAYS KNOW WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DEALING WITH!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:46am
post #46 of 49

Oh come on, SunshineSally, nothing justifies illegal activity. Everyone has the opportunity to start a business that does not require a license SOLELY FOR THE BENEFIT OF PUBLIC SAFETY. I suppose you feel tax evasion is justifiable too. Clean houses, rake leaves, go door to door and ask to wash cars, mow lawns, clean pools. NO... it is CONVENIENCE that makes one choose to be unlicensed. Just like babysitters. What is the justification for not being licensed? Too many kids and tax evasion. There is another industry which requires a license for public safety. We have all chosen our paths which lead to our current place in life. Some choose college, a good job, maybe two jobs, and saving money. Others take the easier path and find themselves in a position that does not allow them to do what they want. Does that justify illegal activity? And don't use the economy as an excuse. I hope posts like yours infuriate the thousands of readers who just read these threads, including many legal bakers, to take action and stop tolerating illegal activity.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:19am
post #47 of 49

I read your previous post and I must say it must be nice to live your cushy life. Not all of us are married to rich doctors that can pave our way.
For the record, I am licensed and I have access to a licensed kitchen. Didn't start that way. I started in my own kitchen in my own home.
I have a college education and a professional license and so does my husband. We worked very hard and we saved and we scrimped and we put money away just like everyone says you are supposed to do. Then, almost 3 years ago, at 3 months old, our daughter got sick and was diagnosed with a rare liver disease. At 4 months old, she was listed for transplant. I sat by her bedside in the PICU for an additional 2 months while we waited for the call that there was a liver available. She did get a transplant at 6 months old. My husband was 3 hours away, working and taking care of our 2 sons. My daughter and I had to live 3 hours away from home for 1 year. That drained any savings we had. Not to mention, we lost my income. Do you think we asked for that path or that we chose that path? Ummm....NO. Can anyone prepare for something like that? Speaking from experience, NO. When she was finally allowed to leave the area near the transplant center and we were able to return home, I couldn't go back to work. Why? Because she is immunosuppressed, she can't take all of her immunizations and she can't go to daycare. Did I choose that path for her? Did she choose that path? I think not. These are the kind of circumstances that I speak about that other people seem to think cannot ever happen to them. I have been fortunate enough to find access to a licensed kitchen. Not everyone is that fortunate. If I lost access to that kitchen and I had to sell cakes out of my home to pay for her anti-rejection meds, would I do it? Damn right I would. And I would do it until a judge told me not to. Why? Because her meds are a life and death circumstance. That's what I mean when I say that You do not know what goes on in other peoples lives. In the end, it's not YOUR job or anyone else's job on this forum to judge the actions of another. I believe that job belongs to God.

jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSally

I have read these threads about this legal vs. illegal debate many times. I have noticed one common theme. Everyone is so quick to judge others.

Who is "judging" others? If someone is openly running an illegal business (and advertising about it!) they will get shut down. This is a business decision and is not a comment on their motives, beliefs, or morality.

Quote:
Quote:

It is absolutely amazing to me how people think that their life circumstances are never going to be anything less than perfect. Life has a funny way of throwing things at you that you cannot anticipate and in no way prepare for. Never say that you won't ever do something. You have no way of predicting what tomorrow may bring.

I keep seeing this point brought up...what does it have to do with the topic at hand? The circumstances of the person who reports the illegal business are irrelevant.

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone here ever thought that one selling cakes out of their home, even if it is illegal, could literally mean the difference in a life or death situation?

Selling cakes out of your home is never the difference between life and death situation. I'm sure there are many people out there who can't make ends meet, but if they are still having difficulty after reducing their standard of living, there are public assistance options available that do not involve breaking the law.

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe they know it isn't legal and they aren't proud of the fact that they are doing something illegal. However, maybe their reasons for doing so, far outweigh any consequences they could face if they get caught selling cakes illegally.

Agreed...this is a free country and people have the right to pursue an illegal business if they think they won't get caught. Of course, I also have the right to inform the authorities if they advertise said illegal business. If they don't want to face the consequences of running an illegal business, then they probably shouldn't start the illegal business in the first place.

jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:32am
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSally

If I lost access to that kitchen and I had to sell cakes out of my home to pay for her anti-rejection meds, would I do it? Damn right I would. And I would do it until a judge told me not to. Why? Because her meds are a life and death circumstance.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, but it still doesn't justify running an illegal business (or stealing, embezzling, etc.) to get money for medicine. There are other (and frankly, better) ways to make money than running an illegal bakery, especially considering the illegal business could be shut down at any moment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%