Recipe By Weight

Decorating By GamerGirl Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 7:23am by FromScratchSF

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 5

So I would like to start compiling recipies that are built based on weight for ingredients instead of by measure. Where is the best place to start finding these, are there any great books out there that go this route? Are recipies by wieght better than by measure?

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 5

Why not convert recipes you already have?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 5

Very easy to convert the recipes you have. I convert measurements using Google all the time - particularly when it comes to butter in US recipes - I'll never understand why they persist in measuring butter in cups, it's completely impractical!

This site is particularly helpful for conversions: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/butter_converter.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #4 of 5

I have Alton Brown's baking book and his recipes are all by weight. I LOVE my kitchen scale. I mostly do WASC so I don't have a ton of measuring but I measure all my stuff for my BC by weight. I also place my pans on the scale and fill them to weight as wellicon_smile.gif It saves a lot of mess and cleanup.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:23am
post #5 of 5

The Cake Bible has a pretty spot-on conversion chart for just about any baking ingredient you'd want to use. I've personally converted all my family recipes to ounces and compiled them in Excel. I simply hit the number of servings I need and blammo, perfect calculations. Anyway, all my weights came from the Cake Bible and they have all been perfect.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%