Mmf Question

Baking By sarahb2004 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm by splymale

sarahb2004 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone!! I have been lurking for a while and love reading these threads so much!! I was wondering if I could get some assistance with a MMF question that I have.

I am a newbie at decorating, and have just done a few cakes here and there. I have been asked to do a Grooms cake in June, so I am practicing as much as I can since this will be my first "big" cake. I tried the MMF recipe last week, and LOVED the consistency compared to the Wilton fondant. Last night I tried to make it again, but added brown coloring to it because the base of my cake needs to be a (darker) brown. I realize now, after I did it, that I should have made a chocolate MMF rather than trying to dye the regular MMF. I am going to try that next week!

Now that I have said all this which is probably pointless (haha!) my question is will the dye actually make the MMF crumble and be drier than regular? It seems that it is almost too dry and is cracking way to much for me to even use. Is there something I can add to it so save it so I dont have to throw it in the trash?

Thank you in advance. Also, if anyone has a link to their favorite chocolate MMF recipe I would appreciate that as well!!!!!

8 replies
hollys_hobby Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 9

typically when I add lots of color, it tends to make my MMF super sticky. If yours is dry and cracking, try kneading in a little crisco. Here is a link to the chocolate MMF I have made in the past: https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ddhwqp45_0dmxpwbf5

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 9

When my MMF is too dry I knead in shortening. It's softens it right up. For my chocolate MMF I add chocolate candy melts to the melted marshmallows and also gel color to make it a rich brown. Then you just have to mess with the powdered sugar to get the right consistency. Don't throw it out just because it's dry! Use the shortening! HTH

cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 9

You could try working in some glycerin. Divide it up (its easier to work with a smaller amount) and work in a few drops at a time. That usually helps me when I've added too much color or when I'm working with old fondant.

DeniseNH Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 9

Divide your fondant in half, warm one half at a time in the microwave - just 5 or 10 seconds at a time. Lather your hands up with Crisco, knead the warm half of fondant with your hands then roll out onto a mat that has been covered lightly in more Crisco.

sarahb2004 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone for the help!! I appreciate all the tips!!

icon_biggrin.gif

splymale Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 9

On a related MMF note....
I use Rhonda's MMF, how many cups of powdered sugar do you put in?
It seemed like 7 was too much...

When I rolled mine out, there would be clumps of dried powdered sugar in a few spots. I must not be mixing or kneading it correctly.
Can someone tell me exactly how they mix their MMF?
Thankyou, thank you!!!

DeniseNH Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 9

This happened to me too - a lot - until I mixed just a little in with the melted marshmallows then dumped the rest of the 2 lb bag out onto a mat and then dumped the melted marshmallows into the center of the powdered sugar. Using a flat bowl scraper, mix a little of the sugar on the counter into the marshmallows until you can knead it. Use the bowl scraper to lift up the edges of the melted mallows into the center of the MMF . I found that if I jumped a 2 lb bag into the melted MM it forms little clumps of powdered sugar that are hard to get rid of even if you sift the powdered sugar first. The trick is to add just a cup full at a time.

splymale Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 9

wow, that is very helpful!
Thanks DeniseNH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%