Funny Tasting Session Last Night

Decorating By ngfcake Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm by ngfcake

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

I'm making my cousin's wedding cake at the end of April (as a gift). Yesterday, he and his bride went to my parents' house for a tasting. I was very nervous and felt almost as if it were an exam! I had told them that if they didn't like my cakes there was no obligation, and that they should feel entirely free to tell me that they didn't want my cake. Initially we were supposed to be alone, but my father, my brother and his girlfriend arrived almost at the same time.

I had two different cakes prepared for the couple and I cut and served the cakes, while they were sitting at the table. Well, my father, my brother and his girlfriend were all standing behind them, looking at them while they ate the cakes!!!

My father, who had tried the scraps the night before, went on and said "You should pick this one, this is my favorite! My daughter is the best baker, I don't know what's she doing working somewhere else!" There it goes the freedom of my cousin to tell the truth about the cakes! I was really embarrased!

After that I proceeded to ask everybody to leave them alone, and even I left for a couple of minutes to allow them to taste and discuss the cake. Fortunately they sincerely liked the cake and didn't take my family's behavior the wrong way (they are their family too, after all!).

Have you had a similar experience?

2 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

No. You are lucky that they are family, otherwise that would not have been great. I ban my family from being anywhere NEAR the appointments. The ringer gets turned off the phone, etc. The couple has my undivided attention.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 3

I know! I was expecting to be alone and everything got out of control. This was my first experience with a tasting, and I clearly have a lot to learn. I don't work with clients, but from now on my family will be banned if I have another tasting or I'll have it somewhere else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%