First Consult

Business By MarlaQuack Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 4:00am by Marianna46

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 4

I'm meeting with a bride and MOB this Friday. I know in the past there have been posts about what to remember to ask, say, do, take... Today I can't seem to find any of them. So, suggestions welcome. The wedding will be the end of May which could be hot so I know to make clear the cake must be indoors in A/C.

Thanks so much!
Marla

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have a contract that you use for your cake orders? I adapted an excellent one from a post by KHalstead on here (I'd put it in here for you, but I adapted it by translating it into Spanish!). It asks for every little bit of information you could possibly want to know from a cake consult. I'm sorry I didn't see your post till now, because your consult has come and gone, but I have to say that since I saw that document I've worried a lot less about getting enough information from my clients.

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you Marianna!

The consult went ok. I forgot to take with me the pictures that shows different configurations of cakes and how many they feed. The bride had no idea what she wanted, no pictures of cakes she liked and no idea of how much she wanted to spend or how much cakes cost. I asked her if she had a budget in mind for a cake she said "no." I quoted her a reasonable price for what she decided on. Three days later I got a note from her that they had gone over the the budget and they felt they could not spend $$$ on a cake. They thanked me for my time and that was the end if it. They had thought of getting a very small wedding cake than serving store bought sheet cakes, but the venue did not contain a kitchen where they could store a cake.

Marla

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #4 of 4

It's probably just as well they didn't go with you because of the store-bought kitcken cake idea. If I'm going to provide the cake, I insist on being the ONLY cake provider for the event. Otherwise, the guests will think that I made the run-of-the-mill (or downright gross) store-bought cakes, too, and I'd rather not have my name associated with cakes I can't personally stand behind. I hope there are many more consults in your future and that lots of them order your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%