Martha Stewart Wedding Cake- Help :(

Decorating By CarinaBina Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 12:42pm by springlakecake

CarinaBina Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 7:46am
post #1 of 12

Hi all!

I need some help... Im doing a three tier cake for a wedding this weekend.

^thats the cake. Except im doing 3rd tier, 4th tier, and 5th tier and making that into a 3 tier cake. I have a fairly steady hand when it comes to piping, I make a lot of cookies. And im fine making a tiered cake BUT ive never done piping that intricate on a cake. Im so nervous and dont know where to start...
ANY advice on piping those designs on the cake would be VERY appreciated all you awesome cake decoraters out there icon_smile.gif
Do I literally just pipe free hand? What if i mess up? How do i get all the patterns to look the same?

Thank you lovely people!

11 replies
Sorelle Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:04am
post #2 of 12

Some of that looked like it was stenciled, that would be one way all the patterns look the same.
If it is fondant covered piping can be easily corrected if you "mess up" If you pipe on buttercream using royal icing to pipe makes an easier fix in case of an accident. hth

CarinaBina Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:14am
post #3 of 12

Ive looked into stencilling but that would give a thicker line, rather than a thin pattern that sticks out (hence why I say its been piped on)
And I definately want to do fondant on the cakes, but I think best is hand piped royal icing. Is there a way to perhaps 'trace' or 'copy' the design very lightly onto the tiers before piping? To get a base on which to pipe.
Gosh... if that makes sense at all! The nerves icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your post icon_smile.gif

nelikate Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 9:03am
post #4 of 12

That's a beautiful cake but a big challenge!

measure a piece of baking paper or tracing paper the size of the sides of your tier, draw or print the pattern onto that.

Tape or pin the paper onto the sides of the cake and push the pin through the paper to mark the cake with a little dot/pinprick that you can see when piping but that will be covered when piped over - ie not too big!

don't bother marking every little detail as your piping will flow naturally to the next point.

otherwise you can score the fondant through the paper with a scribe and pipe over that.

either way it is time consuming but if you are not confident with freehand piping this will give you a cleaner pattern on the finished cake.

Good luck and remember to post your finished cake!

miss_sweetstory Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 9:08am
post #5 of 12

I would use parchment paper with the design as a template and use a scribing tool to lightly "etch" the lines into the fondant.

WykdGud Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:05am
post #6 of 12

I attended a class with Ruth Rickey and she uses graphite paper to trace designs into fondant. It's non-toxic, so supposedly, it's ok.

Katherinej51679 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 12

I know that you have prob already started on the cake but I just saw these stencils!!! It REALLY is ALL stenciled! It doesn't look like it to me at all but I was on global sugar art and their designer stencils are 10% off. I usually only see the same 2 sets used so I wanted to see what else they had....this set is called Princess Lace I think. Go check it out! Sorry, there is not enough time to order them and get them, it would have been so simple.

CarinaBina Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:12am
post #8 of 12

Oh my gosh thank you all so much for your advice! Katherine... you saved my life! Ive printed out the designs to use as a template when I pipe onto the cake so that I dont have draw the pattern free hand.
thank you thank you thank you! youre a lifesaver! I will post a pic of the cake next week icon_smile.gif
Hope all goes well.
Thank you so much everyone icon_smile.gif

Katherinej51679 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 12

well I am so thankful that it helped!!!! I cannot wait to see the cake!

infinitsky Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I attended a class with Ruth Rickey and she uses graphite paper to trace designs into fondant. It's non-toxic, so supposedly, it's ok.

Do you mind tell me a little more about this technique?

Thanks... icon_smile.gif

CarinaBina Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:19am
post #11 of 12

Oh ladies.... Im in a complete panic right now. I practised the piping flat against a table and it worked out perfectly. Which im confident in, as I often do cookies etc. but ive never piped directly onto a cake. so I thought let me try this out against a wall, as if its the cake. As its now on a completely different angle compared to how I usually pipe (on a table) and it was a complete flop!
Obviously cos gravity isnt on my side... i cant leave my nozzel in the air to make the lines flow. the nozzel needs to be directly on the cake... which I cannot do icon_sad.gif my hand starts shaking and it all goes in squiggly lines and looks like a 2yr old has piped it! icon_sad.gif
The cake needs to be done by Saturday and I have no idea what to do now!?
This would take months of practise to get piping directly on a round cake perfect.
Any ideas? icon_sad.gif Really dont know what to do now.

springlakecake Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 12

When I have piped designs on the side of a cake it helps to prop up the front a bit so that it is on an angle. I have used either the tilting turn table (which makes me nervous because I have had a cake slide off the cake board, and it just feels unsteady) and what I like better is just to roll up a towel and place it the cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%