Help With Ganache As Icing Only Cake

Decorating By keiza07 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:43pm by cocoanna

keiza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keiza07 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 3

I need some advice on a choc mud cake with white choc ganache (wedding cake). It's one tier, 11" and will only be iced with the white choc ganache, and then have fondant shells as decorations. My questions are:

1. Should I leave the ganached cake in the fridge until pick up?
2. Will the fondant shells soften if I put them on and then put the entire cake in the fridge?
3. I'm making sand out of icing and biscuits, can I put all that in the fridge as part of the cake as well?
4. I will be putting it in a cake box for transport but it is being frive an hour away from my house - will it be OK in the car (will tell them to use airconditioning) and can I tell them to put it in the fridge until it's needed at the reception venue (it's a very casual wedding at a cafe).

My plan is to assemble the cake the night before and then store it in the fridge until pick up (I don't want the ganache to soften).

I would appreciate any help as this is my first ganache only cake and wedding cake. I have searched the forum as well.

Thank you in advance.

2 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 3

I would think that it would be best not to refrigerate it. If you do put it in the fridge it is likely to sweat, and if there's no other decorations sweating would be pretty obvious. Also make sure it's not frozen when you put the ganache on, or you still might get sweating. I would just keep it in a cool place if possible. Good luck!

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 3

Hi keiza07! I've only done 2 ganached cakes but I hope this will help. I'm assuming you're not covering the whole cake with fondant. I love ganache because you can use it so many ways and play with the consistency.

1. I suggest refrigerate the cake.
2. I refrigerate my fondant-covered ganache frosted cakes so I guess there won't be any problem for the shells if you decide to assemble and refrigerate the whole thing. But I think this also depends on the temperature of your fridge. Just take extra care that you don't touch the shells once the cake's out so you don't have problems if they sweat.
3. No problem with refrigerating sand biscuits, as long as they're not going to soak on anything. icon_smile.gif
4. Check the weather! I know there's no way we can really predict this one, but the ganache on my cake last weekend softened underneath the fondant because I underestimated the weather and it turned out to be a hooot day. White chocolate melts faster.

I suggest refrigerate the cake, make the fondant shells and leave them out, and then just assemble before pick up. If you don't have time, assemble and refrigerate everything, and if you can, do the biscuits last if they'll be on the ganache. There's still a lot of debate on refrigerating fondant, and since it's just going to be the shell decorations anyway, you have little to worry about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%