How Do I Charge A Fire Truck Cake Out?

Decorating By jessyummycakes Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm by Marianna46

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 4

Hi, as a newbie and beginner I have been doing many cakes for friends at a very cheap minimum to get practise. I have just been asked to do a fire truck cake for 50 people! I am confident in my skills but how should I charge this? Thanks. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 4

Well, for one thing, you decorate very nicely, so stop charging practice prices or you'll never get your clients to pay you what you're worth. Ask around to see what fondant-covered cakes are going for in your area (this will usually be a per-portion charge) and start charging accordingly. For example, I charge the equivalent $3.50 (US dollars) per portion, so a cake for 50 would come out at $175. If you're making any little firefighter figures or something that requires a few hours of extra work, I'd charge extra for that. But please don't sell yourself short!

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:21am
post #3 of 4

Oh Thank you Marianna! I just have absolutely no confidence...I mean I know i am good and its funny, I have never been good at anything in my life! lol....and I absolutely LOVE what I am doing and I do hope to make a business from my decorating. But I feel that I am not good compared to so many others. I do aspire to be perfect!! Thanks again, your kindness and support means so much to me. icon_smile.gif
Oh and I quoted her $160 just before I saw your post. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

Sounds fair to me! As far as your confidence level, there´s nothing like practice, practice, practice to boost it, whether on real cakes (if you have a lot of people you can give them to) or on dummies (when the family starts yelling, "No more cakes - can't you see we´re all dieting?"). I find the most important predictor of success in this venture is the passion you bring to it. The details will fall into place with time. You sound very passionate, so all I can say is GO FOR IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%