3 Tiered Baby Block Cake..need Help

Decorating By Wesha Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm by catlharper

Wesha Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

Hey Guys,

I need your help...i have a client that wants a 3 tiered baby block cake. I have attached a picture for reference although the cake will be decorated differently. How do I get the square shape for the second and third tier. The top tier looks like a 6 in square but I am unsure about the other two tiers. All advice and help is welcomed.

thanks

4 replies
Wesha Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:02am
post #2 of 5
catlharper Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 5

It looks like the blocks are a 4-6-8. The easiest is the 4x4 since you won't have to worry about tall layers. The 6x6 is going to have to be doweled in order to hold the weight of the 4 inch tier and then the 8x8 is going to have to be doweled twice...once at the 4 inch level and then again to support the 6 inch tier. Lastly, for stability I would put a center dowel thru the entire cake. Hope this helps!

Also...if you don't need that much cake you can do a 2x4x6 instead or a 3x5x7. That will depend on how many servings you need.

Cat

Wesha Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

Hey Cat,

How many people will this cake feed you think. She needs about 45 servings. Also, are all three cakes 3 layers each?

thanks

catlharper Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 5

For only 45 people I would do the 3x5x7 and that should be enough cake...remembering that the 7x7 is going to need to be divided at the supporting cake board and sliced into those pieces as well..so it yields almost double what a 7x4 would. I was basing the 3 layers on 2 inch layers...so you can get it as square as possible. Obviously for the odd numbers you will have to torte accordingly to get the 3x3, 5x5 and 7x7. BTW the easiest way to do this is to bake 2 inch high sheet cakes and then using a cardboard template, cut out the layers you need.

hth,
Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%