Long Borders From The Cricut Mini

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 10:47pm by luckylibra

Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 2

I have a cricut mini and had been using it to cut fondant borders. However, I wanted to be able to make longer sections, so I bought a set of the 12 x 24 mats and, using the 12 x 6 mat as a template, drew a line down the back of a 12 x 24 mat. I cut it along this line to make a 6 x 24 mat [I only ended up with one...the mat is about 1/2 inch too narrow to get two out of one mat...but there are two mats in a pack, so I still was able to make two].

I design my borders using, of all things, MS Word. I start with a landscape turned blank page, then add a rectangle about 1 x 8 or so. I then add other shapes to the top, like circles, triangles, etc. and position them on the rectangle. I've even add round and oval cutouts as well. I then fill the shaped with black and save as a jpeg image.

Using SCAL2, I simply set my mat for a custom size 6 x 24, then import the image, adding more of them end to end until I get the length I want, then select all and use the "weld" function to make one continuous strip.

The Cricut Mini cuts then design with no problem....all I added was a couple of books in fornt and back to support the long mat as it moves in and out......works perfect!

1 reply
luckylibra Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 2

Cool idea, thanks for sharing.. I have been playing with my cricut too and would love to make longer borders and just cut more at one time even. Thanks,

Quote by @%username% on %date%