Help!!! Double Layer 1/2 Sheet Cake

Decorating By blademanswife Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 11:49pm by SugarandSpice3674

blademanswife Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a baby shower cake for my new grandbaby and am making a stand up bear (wilton) on top of a 11 x 15 sheet cake. I would like to make it 2 layers filled with raspberry I am having trouble placing the frosting on cake that has been levelled without pulling the cake apart???? icon_cry.gif

4 replies
ramie7224 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 5

I usually put the cut side down so that I'm filling/ frosting the smooth side. You can also try chilling or freezing your layers as this will help prevent tearing.

crp7 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

I always put the cut side down also. Much easier that way.

blademanswife Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 5

if i turn the cake upside down will the cake crumble from bottom when serving and how does that effect the taste of the filling. I would just put the filling down and not worry about laying frosting under filling but I did a trial run this weeken and the filling tasted better with the frosting under it as well. If I choose to freeze it first how long should I freeze it 45 minutes before or after slicing in half

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 5

one of my fav ways to ice a cake is with a cake icer tip, you need a 16oz (i think) decorating bag, drop the tip in and cut the end of the bag to fit the tip, you can only use the bag for the icer tip once you cut it, but the best part is, you ice the cake, smooth your icing with your spatula and no crumbs or tearing. I bought my icer tip for $4 at michaels (used a %40 off coupon so it was even cheaper) and the bag was $10 i think ($6 after coupon). if i cant use an icer tip i make sure to put lots of icing on cake and make sure not to let my spatula touch the uniced parts of the cake, sort of pushing the icing around with the spatula, I hope i make sense?? hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%