Cake Paste?

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

I was watching Fabulous Cakes (or some sort of show like that) and they were sculpting their cakes using cake paste. It worked but that sort of makes that part of the cake inedible, doesn't it? I mean, how do you cut that to serve?

And what is it??

Can someone explain this to me?

4 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

I saw that too. It appears to be the cake and icing portions that have been sculpted from the original form. I would imagine it's the same texture and taste of cake balls. Not sure how it affects the cutting of the cake, but in any case; it's not something I would care to serve.

Marianna46 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 5

I've never heard of "cake paste", so I just googled it, and all I got back was nonsense (the words "cake" and "paste" appearing in different parts of the entry. Could they have been referring to one of the "pasty" kinds of things we decorate with like fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate? Those wouldn't make a cake inedible.

artscallion Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 5

Are you referring to spackle? This is an idea of Toba Garrett's. A mixture of cake trimmings, buttercream and filling, mashed into a paste, that you use as a crumb coat to fill in any uneven or spots or gaps between layers. Though I don't think this is intended for areas so large that you'd detect them in cutting.

kristiemarie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 5

Nope, they had a square block of cake for a dogs head and then added the cake paste over it to make the head more head like.

Very odd.

Quote by @%username% on %date%