Cake Having A Line In It - Is It Baked?

Baking By Claire138 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 7:07pm by chefjess819

Claire138 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 13

I wonder if anyone can help me, I find that with pound cakes there is almost always towards the bottom of the cake a line that goes around the cake (inside of) that may be it is not fully baked? & yet, I never take out a cake from the oven without using the cake tester and checking, even leaving the cake in for longer to try and avoid this problem.
Do any of my fellow CC'ers have the same problem and if so, how do I fix it?
I did a cake this week for someone who wanted a pound cake and I am literally forcing myself not to call her to ask how it was bc I had no way of knowing if it had happened or not.

12 replies
scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 13

My pound cake is my grandmother's with no leavening. It has several different areas of texture. The top is crusty, rough, and sugary. The middle is dense, and the bottom, especially over a few days, is more moist. Our whole family eats a piece differently, depending on where each person's best last bite is located. This is based on being cooked in a tube pan, so the top really is the top (wider). When I bake in a bundt, the crust is not on top. Because there is no leavening, I think it settles some. I also always take my cakes out with a few moist crumbs on the toothpick. They still cook in the pan, even if it is just ten minutes.

Claire138 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not sure I understand what you wrote, do you think it is bc of the baking powder?

scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 13

Claire, my recipe is the traditional recipe with no leavening. If you have baking powder in it, I can't help you because I have never baked one with a leavener... a rising agent.

robbynjaye Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 13

Claire,

What kind of butter are you using? My pound cakes used to have that same moist looking line at the bottom until I figured out it was the butter. I used to use kellers butter. It was when I started using land of lakes is when I noticed the cake was a little lighter and that line was gone! I think the kellers was too heavy for the cake.

Claire138 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 13

I use a butter tasting margarine that is very soft (I don't use butter at all in baking), Do you think I should change to oil as I don't have this in any of my other cakes? I never thought that it could be the ingredients.

robbynjaye Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 13

Hmmm, I'm not sure changing to oil would help as that is heavier than the margarine. Margaine has oil in it so that just might be it. Why no butter?

Claire138 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 13

I don't use butter bc I keep kosher (I'm Jewish), so as I mostly make cakes for friends and family and they keep kosher too they don't want a cake that would be classified 'milky' due to the ingredients having milk content e.g. butter or milk (I use soy milk for baking) bc then they couldn't eat it for desert after eating a meat meal - we don't mix milk and meat.
Back to the line in the cake - maybe I should change brand of margarine? although I like the one I use bc it is very soft and has a buttery taste. I use apple sauce for shortening in other cakes but the pound cake recipe that I have calls for butter (or in my case margarine) and shortening so how much apple sauce can I put in already?
I know I'm rambling a bit but if anyone has an idea or solution I'd love to hear it.

robbynjaye Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 13

Ok, i get it thumbs_up.gif
Good luck with your answer. I hope someone out there can help you get rid of that line! I'm sure the cake still taste wonderful as mine still did icon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 13

The cake is delicious, I'm just worried about someone slicing the cake and seeing this thin line that looks like it might be under baked which is why I propose the rainbow coloured pound cake when they want a pound cake bc then it is camouflaged! (It's perfect for girls cakes but the boys not so much......)

Thanks for your help,

Claire

KoryAK Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 13

It's called a "sad streak". Try googling that and see if any helpful answers come up.

Chasey Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 13

Interesting, Kory! My mom made pound cakes every year for our birthdays (not by request...she must love them, ha!) and often when she would cut it she would say "ohhhh, this one is sad."

I didn't know it had an official name! icon_lol.gif

chefjess819 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 13

i use margarine in my pound cakes too. (nostly because i'm too cheap to buy real butter icon_redface.gif) i have the lines too. i've never really paid much mind to it, i just thought it was the way the cake was supposed to look. icon_lol.gif if the cakes are done, then i don't see it as a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%