Need Great Red Velvet Cake Recipe!

Baking By sherry-o Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 3:58am by CarrotJockey

sherry-o Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 25

Does anyone have a delicous, moist red velvet cake recipe that you would share?? I have to make a 2 tier cake this week for a special occasion.
Thank you in advance!

24 replies
Jewels17 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 25

I've used Grandma Paul'a Red Velvet Cake.

I went to a local bakery and bought a red velvet cupcake to compare and this recipe tasted much better. I also changed the out the vinegar with apple cider vinegar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

Please post back and let use know what recipe you go with and how it turns out. Happy baking!

icer101 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 25

Hi, there are plently of red velvet cake recipes( i make them also) on the internet and on this site. We all think ours is the best.lol!!! So try the op recipe. Then try others from this site. Some are from scratch(mine are from scratch) some are cake mix extenders. Then you can choose the one , that YOU like best. hth good luck. Bobby Flay has a good tasing one also. I think he won the throw down with his. I made it also and like it also.

BooperBaker78 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 25

Every month, I have a "cake testing" party. I try out new recipes and ideas, and have about 20 - 25 people (usually repeative customers) come taste and give me their honest opinons. Who better to ask than your customers, right?

OK, I know as soon as I post this people are going to think, "Cake mix? What kind of baker is she, anyway?" But PLZ take my word for it... this is by far the best Red Velvet Cake recipe I have tried. (And I have tried ALOT!!!) Everyone loves it!!

Most important factor: when using a cake mix of any sort... always dump the dry mix into a plastic bowl and let sit over night in cooler. Then sift before using.

Heres what you need for (2) 8" Cakes:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
3 large brown eggs (richer in flavor, trust me - it makes a difference)
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Dr Pepper (yes, the soda)
3/4 cup Milk
1 container (prepared) Cherry flavored pudding
1 tsp Apple Cider vinegar
1 tsp Butter flavoring

Mix together, beat on low for 30 seconds, on med/high for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared bakng pans. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Watch closely, as Red Velvet Cake is all about perfect timing!

Top with Cream Cheese frosting. Sorry, can't give that recipe out... its a family secret.

Enjoy!!!! Let me know if you like it.

donnlara Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 25

I like Bobby Flay's recipe from Food Network.com. I have to add more red color to really get it red, but other than that it's moist but not to spongy, and stands up well to stacking. I've done a four-tier wedding cakes with it on a couple occassions.

divinecc Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooperBaker78

Every month, I have a "cake testing" party. I try out new recipes and ideas, and have about 20 - 25 people (usually repeative customers) come taste and give me their honest opinons. Who better to ask than your customers, right?

OK, I know as soon as I post this people are going to think, "Cake mix? What kind of baker is she, anyway?" But PLZ take my word for it... this is by far the best Red Velvet Cake recipe I have tried. (And I have tried ALOT!!!) Everyone loves it!!

Most important factor: when using a cake mix of any sort... always dump the dry mix into a plastic bowl and let sit over night in cooler. Then sift before using.

Heres what you need for (2) 8" Cakes:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
3 large brown eggs (richer in flavor, trust me - it makes a difference)
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Dr Pepper (yes, the soda)
3/4 cup Milk
1 container (prepared) Cherry flavored pudding
1 tsp Apple Cider vinegar
1 tsp Butter flavoring

Mix together, beat on low for 30 seconds, on med/high for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared bakng pans. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Watch closely, as Red Velvet Cake is all about perfect timing!

Top with Cream Cheese frosting. Sorry, can't give that recipe out... its a family secret.

Enjoy!!!! Let me know if you like it.




I have never found a red velvet cake I have liked. I can't wait to try this one out, then again maybe I just plain don't like red velvet icon_lol.gif

divinecc Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 25

BooperBaker..... A couple questions, I have never seen cherry pudding before (in a box or premade) did you mean cherry yogurt? Also, I always sift my cake mixes but what is the reasoning behind refrigerating over night? Thanks!

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 25

I had to make a red velvet cake for the first time a couple weeks ago. Ive never even tasted it before. After much research here on CC, I went with Cake Man Ravens recipe.

I personally wasnt impressed. I didnt hate it, but didnt think it was anything special. BUT I got an email from the woman who I made it for and she said everyone thought it was AMAZING!. Thats how she typed it LOL. I also made the hersheys chocolate cake with raspberry filling for another tier that I think tasted amazing and she said, they really liked it but the red velvet was the favorite. So I guess my point is, if you like red velvet, this is a good recipe icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 25

Debbief, did you make the changes found all over the internet for Cakeman's? If you don't have them, I will share. I have found this recipe to be the best crowd-pleaser even for people who say they don't like red velvet.

crp7 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 25

scp1127, do mean changes that the Cakeman has made or changes others have made to his recipe?

Would you mind sharing your best version?

scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 25

The changes posted by other people.

1 1/4 to 1 1/8c veg oil
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp red food coloring
3 tsp or more cocoa powder to taste

Icing (based on 1 ib cream cheese):
3 sticks of butter instead of two
2 tsp vanilla or more to taste

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Debbief, did you make the changes found all over the internet for Cakeman's? If you don't have them, I will share. I have found this recipe to be the best crowd-pleaser even for people who say they don't like red velvet.




Do you mean reducing the oil and increasing the cocoa? I did see those changes and I did make them.

I also live at high altitude so I had to make some other adjustments that are required for all scratch cakes.

A couple other things I did...The recipe only made enough batter for one 8x2" square layer. I had enough batter left over to make another 8x1" square. So I made another batch. I put considerably less dye in the next batch and the color was exactly the same. So no need for an entire ounce of dye as the recipe calls for.

Like I said, I didn't hate it, it just didn't wow me.

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

The changes posted by other people.

1 1/4 to 1 1/8c veg oil
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp red food coloring
3 tsp or more cocoa powder to taste

Icing (based on 1 ib cream cheese):
3 sticks of butter instead of two
2 tsp vanilla or more to taste




we must have been typing at the same time icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 25

Debbie, I did the less coloring experiment and found the same thing. The reason I like Cakeman's is becaus I feel it is more universally liked. My old recipe I used for twenty years is a traditional southern recipe that is very dense. I don't use it commercially because I don't think it will be as well liked. People have such strong opinions about this cake. That is why I picked one with more mass appeal.

nickshalfpint Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 25

This is the Ree Drummond's (The Pioneer Woman) Red Velvet Cake. It's really good. I have made Cakeman's recipe also and they are both very good. My family likes Ree's just a little bit better icon_wink.gif
Makes one 8-inch layer cake

Red Velvet Cake
1 cup shortening
1¾ cups sugar
2½ cups cake flour
1¼ teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons vinegar
1 ounce red food coloring (use 2 ounces if you desire a deeper red color)
1½ teaspoons cocoa powder

Cream Cheese Icing
1½ 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1½ pounds powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray two round 10-inch cake pans (2 inches deep) with nonstick baking spray.
2. Blend together the shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Set aside.
3. Sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
4. Mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the shortening mixture
in the mixing bowl, mixing after each addition.
6. In a small bowl, mix the red food coloring and cocoa powder.
7. Pour into the mixing bowl.
8. Mix until just combined. Dont overbeat.
9. Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans. Cool completely before icing.
10. Now, make the icing. Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and whip until smooth. Sift the powdered sugar and add it to the bowl. Add the salt and mix.
11. Add the vanilla and mix until smooth.
12. Place one layer face down on a cake plate or pedestal. Note the cocoa swirling throughout the cake!
13. Plop a large spoonful of icing in the center of the layer.
14. Using an offset spatula, spread one-third of the icing evenly on top of one layer, making sure to get the icing all the way to the edges.
15. Place the other cake layer on top, face down.
16. Ice the top . . .
17. And ice the sides with the remaining icing, being careful not to loosen crumbs as you go.
18. Refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. (Because of the butter,
the icing will become soft at room temperature.) To serve, cut a large X in the refrigerated cake.
19. Then cut smaller slices within each quadrant of the cake. I love red velvet cake. Its almost too pretty to be eaten. I said almost . . .

Helpful Hint: Store leftovers in the fridge.

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Debbie, I did the less coloring experiment and found the same thing. The reason I like Cakeman's is becaus I feel it is more universally liked. My old recipe I used for twenty years is a traditional southern recipe that is very dense. I don't use it commercially because I don't think it will be as well liked. People have such strong opinions about this cake. That is why I picked one with more mass appeal.




If I'm ever requested to make another one, I'll use this recipe since it was such a hit.

I didn't see anything about using less dye. Was that a suggested change like the oil and cocoa, or did you have to figure that one out for yourself like I did?

Also, did it make enough batter for three 9"x1 1/2" layers like the recipe states? I figured I would get at least two 8x2" square layers...even though square cakes take more batter...I only wanted two layers.

scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 25

debbie, I thought it was you who mentioned the coloring. Watch it and you will see that a smaller amount yeilds the same color. I only got two 8" layers. I am planning on experimenting with trying three layers with the same batter. I have two other cakes I offer with three thin layers and they look great. The alternative is upping the volume. It doesn't quite need 50% more, more like 1/3.

ConnieJ Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #18 of 25

Debbief - I too always use the Cakeman's recipe and love it, as do all who try it. I make it without any changes, and typically use 2 8" square pans.

debbief Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieJ

Debbief - I too always use the Cakeman's recipe and love it, as do all who try it. I make it without any changes, and typically use 2 8" square pans.




Wow I'm surprised you are able to get two full 2" layers out of one batch. I'm sure the suggested changes didn't reduce the amount of batter. But I definatley got less batter than any other cake recipe I've made.

BooperBaker78 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:25am
post #20 of 25

Divine CC... to answer your question about the Cherry pudding. Its made by Jelly Belly, and sold at Kroger (here in Texas anyway). I wouldn't advise using the cherry yogart, as the recipe calls for vinegar - may put too much of that "tangy" taste. And may cause the cake not to rise properly. I have, however, substituted the cherry pudding with chocolate/vanilla swirled pudding and used Cherry Dr Pepper instead. It was still very good, but was a little too chocolate for my taste.

The reason for the sitting in cooler overnight, it illimanates the "package" taste. Mixes have a tendency to have a bit of a... well... box flavor. Honestly, it makes a HUGE difference.

Let me know how it goes!!!

divinecc Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 25

Thanks! We have a grocery store here that sell Kroger products so maybe they will have it...I am going to check it out! The info about the cake mix is very intriguing I am definitely going to have to test it out! thumbs_up.gif

Normita Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:24pm
post #22 of 25

The one I love and use is Martha Stewart red velvet....yummy!! It's so delicious the flavor is amazing icon_smile.gif

ConnieJ Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:00am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieJ

Debbief - I too always use the Cakeman's recipe and love it, as do all who try it. I make it without any changes, and typically use 2 8" square pans.



Wow I'm surprised you are able to get two full 2" layers out of one batch. I'm sure the suggested changes didn't reduce the amount of batter. But I definatley got less batter than any other cake recipe I've made.





Yep! In fact, I just made one a couple of months ago for my brother-in-law.

sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #24 of 25

I use Cakeman Raven's and get wonderful comments on it... only change I make is I use apple cider vinegar (I find it makes it sweeter) and I don't use liquid coloring I use a little bit of red gel/paste color. I find it makes the red much brighter without having to use soooo much!

S.

CarrotJockey Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

This is the Ree Drummond's (The Pioneer Woman) Red Velvet Cake. It's really good. I have made Cakeman's recipe also and they are both very good. My family likes Ree's just a little bit better icon_wink.gif
Makes one 8-inch layer cake

Red Velvet Cake
1 cup shortening
1¾ cups sugar
2½ cups cake flour
1¼ teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons vinegar
1 ounce red food coloring (use 2 ounces if you desire a deeper red color)
1½ teaspoons cocoa powder

Cream Cheese Icing
1½ 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1½ pounds powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray two round 10-inch cake pans (2 inches deep) with nonstick baking spray.
2. Blend together the shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Set aside.
3. Sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
4. Mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the shortening mixture
in the mixing bowl, mixing after each addition.
6. In a small bowl, mix the red food coloring and cocoa powder.
7. Pour into the mixing bowl.
8. Mix until just combined. Dont overbeat.
9. Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans. Cool completely before icing.
10. Now, make the icing. Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and whip until smooth. Sift the powdered sugar and add it to the bowl. Add the salt and mix.
11. Add the vanilla and mix until smooth.
12. Place one layer face down on a cake plate or pedestal. Note the cocoa swirling throughout the cake!
13. Plop a large spoonful of icing in the center of the layer.
14. Using an offset spatula, spread one-third of the icing evenly on top of one layer, making sure to get the icing all the way to the edges.
15. Place the other cake layer on top, face down.
16. Ice the top . . .
17. And ice the sides with the remaining icing, being careful not to loosen crumbs as you go.
18. Refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. (Because of the butter,
the icing will become soft at room temperature.) To serve, cut a large X in the refrigerated cake.
19. Then cut smaller slices within each quadrant of the cake. I love red velvet cake. Its almost too pretty to be eaten. I said almost . . .

Helpful Hint: Store leftovers in the fridge.




I'd like to try this, but am wondering what the "2 teaspoons pure" is in the cream cheese frosting? If I had to venture a guess I'd say vanilla? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%