Maybe A Silly Question?

Decorating By alsearer Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm by alsearer

alsearer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alsearer Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first time posting but I read stuff here all the time...such a HUGE help!!! Can someone please tell me if I can put filling (like a creme) in a cake, frost then freeze for like 3 days? I had a loss in the family and the funeral falls the day before a cake is due. I would really love to get the cake as finished as possible and then just freeze it until the day before to complete finishing touches? Is this even possible or should I assume after traveling I will need to pull an all nighter?!

Thanks so much for any advice!!!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 5

You might be okay it really depends on the filling it your using
a sleeve filling I would say it would be okay. If you are making
the filling from scratch I would try to freeze some grist if time
permits.

I would certainly have the cakes baked and frozen before you leave
make all your icing and as many of your decorations as possible.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 5

I now I have read that several people do fill and freeze so when the cake comes it just needs to defrost and it's ready to decorate.

I haven't had much success with this as I have tried it but the icing gets a bit mussy when it defrosts and blends into the cake a bit so it appears that there isn't as much icing the cake (which is honestly most peoples favorite part so I hate feeling like to ripped them off on the icing).

So I always bake, level and freeze. Make the icing up, colour all fondants, etc so that everything is ready. Then it really only takes 5-10 minutes to fill and ice the cake.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 5

I had a scheduling conflict that led me to bake & freeze well ahead of time.

I baked, leveled, filled & crumb-coated the cake on a board cut to the size of the cake (so that it had support until it was frozen solid). I double wrapped it in clear plastic wrap.

Thawed it and then did the final frosting/decorating. I had all the fondant cutouts done ahead of time. I put it on the larger "display" board after it came out of the freezer--just glued the first cake board down to the larger one w/BC.

The final work on the cake only took about an hour and the cake tasted great. No ill effects from the freezer.

HTH
Kristy

alsearer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alsearer Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for. It would really only be three days but I was so worried. I've got most everything ready and will take a few more steps before leaving town.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%