How To Lego Man Figures?

Decorating By krv1313 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 4:38am by krv1313

krv1313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krv1313 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I recently joined because I have been brainstorming ideas for my son's 8th bday cake and saw some really cool lego batman and star wars cakes here.
Can anyone give me any tips on making the figures. Should I try making them out of RKT or just the fondant? How can I make the hair/wig so that it takes a particular shape and just won't stick to the head ( I don't know if this makes sense).
Here's some links of what I am talking about.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1747573
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1718229

I still have a few more months until his birthday but I would like to start practicing.
Please help, thanks!

2 replies
shirley1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirley1956 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #2 of 3

I'm new to making figures as well. But from trial and error i would start with a small square for the legs and cut in the middle to make the legs.But do not cut all the way throu.I would use toothpicks or spagetti and add them to the each leg so it will stand up.Then I will make the torso and shape that into a triangle add a toothpick or piece of spagetti to attach to the base.Roll 2 balls of fondant into a sausage and attach to the sides of the torso.play with it a little to get the shape you wants.., indenting the base of the arms so that you can attach a hand . I found if you look in the clay tutorials their is some great advice how to make hands feet .etc.Also good tuorials on how to make heads etc.
Just type in how to make clay heads and so on.

I found if I used straight mmf ,it is ok for real small figures,But you are better off doing a 50/50. 50% fondant, 50 % is gumpaste.This is better because you can work with it and keep shaping it without it drying out so fast.

Of course when you attach spagetti or tootpicks keep in mind if you want it to be completely edible don't use tootpicks unless you make sure your customer knows
I hope some of this helps.

krv1313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krv1313 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #3 of 3

shirley thanks for the useful tips I'll make sure to keep them in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%