Help With Tiered Cake.........

Decorating By yodarita Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 1:29pm by KJ62798

yodarita Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 13

im planning on making my very first tiered cake icon_eek.gif

ive watched vids on the net and i understand what to do (i think) but for my top tier (im making a 2 tier) i see i will need a cake board underneath it for support and i was wondering do i use just a regular board or does it need to be a particular type as i need to push a dowel through it?

thanx x

12 replies
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

A regular corrugated cake circle.

yodarita Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 13

ive seen thinner cake boards, do you think that would be better? will the dowel go through a norm one ok?

wiggler Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 13

I made my first 2 tier cake a couple of weeks ago . I used a thin cake board under the top tier . I didnt put a centre dowel through the two tiers , heard you only need to do that with 3 or more tiers . I had to drive an hour to the venue and it was fine . Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Rougediamond03 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 13

I would use a regular cake board, just sharpen your dowel with a pencil sharpener if you are worried about it going through the board.

KJ62798 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 13

If you have time to order, save yourself a ton of stress and get the SPS components. They are available online at GSA and Oasis.

Very secure, no need for a center dowel, super easy to use. They make tiered cakes nearly a no-brainer.

Check out the "sticky" thread in the cake decorating forum for more info.

Kristy

blissfulbaker Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 13

I use 1/4" foam core board and cut it to the size I need. It works great, and it is grease proof. I use 1/2" foam core board for the base of the cake. You can buy foam core board at most hobby and craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels. But I agree the SPS system is very secure if you have time to order it and have it shipped.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodarita

im planning on making my very first tiered cake icon_eek.gif

ive watched vids on the net and i understand what to do (i think) but for my top tier (im making a 2 tier) i see i will need a cake board underneath it for support and i was wondering do i use just a regular board or does it need to be a particular type as i need to push a dowel through it?

thanx x

Hi there I'm in the UK. I don't put a dowel through the boards of any of my tiered cakes and I've done 4 tiers etc and transported them up to 2 hours in a car at times. Obviously if you were doing a huge topsy turvy or intricate balancing act it may help but I dowel each individual tier - amount depends on the size of the tiers. A board under each cake of course. Ice each cake on the boards. Dowel your tiers (better when icing is still soft). Wait for the icing to thoroughly dry then stack them using a little RI to secure each tier. Make sure the RI dries thoroughly before you transport to make sure its secure. HTH

yodarita Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:18am
post #9 of 13

thank you all for ur help and advice : ) really appriciate it.

im trying to look for the SPS on the recomended site but to be honest i havent a clue what im looking for icon_redface.gif what is SPS and where on the site can i find it????

bear with me in a complete beginner thumbs_up.gif

yodarita Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:53am
post #10 of 13

Ok ive had another browse and i came across this >>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21165&name=Round%20Separator%20Plate%208%20inch%20by%20Bakery%20Crafts

is this it????

wiggler Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:01am
post #11 of 13

I dont think we can het that system over here . If you do get it I'd love to hear how you get on ? icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler

I dont think we can het that system over here . If you do get it I'd love to hear how you get on ? icon_smile.gif

not found it over here yet either. going to NY soon so may pick some up and see what they like icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodarita

Ok ive had another browse and i came across this >>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21165&name=Round%20Separator%20Plate%208%20inch%20by%20Bakery%20Crafts

is this it????

That is a piece of the SPS system. If you look under Bakery Crafts you will find the complete list of pieces--there are legs for the plates and various sizes & shapes of plates. I buy the scored 9in legs so I can trim them to size. Others get the 4in legs and just make sure their tiers are exactly 4in high.

I would imagine that GSA ships internationally but I would check.

HTH
Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%