How Did You Know You Were Ready?

Business By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm by Unlimited

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing research on starting up a business, and am wondering, how did you know u were ready to take the leap?
I live in Alberta Canada and here we cannot have a home based cake business unless you have a separate kitchen just for the business which i dont have. I am really wanting to go store front, and plan to take business training/courses this spring. I have been baking since I can remember and the decorating part is becoming a big passion of mine. I've been second guessing myself, worrying that i may not be prepared enough. I know that there are definitly enough people where i live to have a good business flow.
Any tips or advise to all those experience with owning/operating or even working at a private bakery?
Thanks everyone!

2 replies
jason_kraft Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 3

Going right into a retail storefront is a huge jump that typically requires a very large up-front capital investment. Have you considered testing the waters by renting an existing commercial kitchen so you can legally start selling?

Unlimited Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 3

Do you have the speed and production skills to be profitable? If you work in a bakery, you'll learn a lot. This would help you with the confidence to know when you are ready, and you'll never regret the experience that you'll gain.

Don't forget to complete a detailed business planthe time and research that goes into it can consume your life for many months, but you'll learn a lot, have many of your questions answered, and discover if it's really feasible to persue the market that's available in your community.

Quote by @%username% on %date%