How Did You Know You Were Ready?

Business By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm by Unlimited

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing research on starting up a business, and am wondering, how did you know u were ready to take the leap?
I live in Alberta Canada and here we cannot have a home based cake business unless you have a separate kitchen just for the business which i dont have. I am really wanting to go store front, and plan to take business training/courses this spring. I have been baking since I can remember and the decorating part is becoming a big passion of mine. I've been second guessing myself, worrying that i may not be prepared enough. I know that there are definitly enough people where i live to have a good business flow.
Any tips or advise to all those experience with owning/operating or even working at a private bakery?
Thanks everyone!

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 3

Going right into a retail storefront is a huge jump that typically requires a very large up-front capital investment. Have you considered testing the waters by renting an existing commercial kitchen so you can legally start selling?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 3

Do you have the speed and production skills to be profitable? If you work in a bakery, you'll learn a lot. This would help you with the confidence to know when you are ready, and you'll never regret the experience that you'll gain.

Don't forget to complete a detailed business planthe time and research that goes into it can consume your life for many months, but you'll learn a lot, have many of your questions answered, and discover if it's really feasible to persue the market that's available in your community.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%