Seriously Tired Of The Lack Of Products In The Uk

Decorating By nanefy Updated 24 Nov 2013 , 11:43pm by Kaylz165

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #31 of 67

Just the thought of cake buddies coming could keep me awake all night.

have to go soon, it's after 11 pm here

I will dream. but honestly, I already have had 2 from Germany come visit, was sooo great, both of them want to come again next year, BLISS!!!

What are we, if we didn't have anything to dream about? Making it reality is the only thing, which could surpass a dream

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #32 of 67

nanefy, have you looked at www.cake-stuff.com yet? They're a Scottish based company in Lesmahagow Lanarkshire. They sell covapaste at a decent price, although their shipping costs seem high, when you put a few things into one order, it's not so bad. I think it's £6.99 flat rate shipping, and a tenner if you want express delivery. But when you weigh it up, if you're buying fondant in bulk batches, then add on a couple of other things then it's actually not bad value. I always try to plan ahead, and get everything I need for 2-3 upcoming cakes at once to get the best value.

I love covapaste, it doesn't even need any trex or icing sugar when rolling out, if you use a sillicone rolling pin. I'll never go back to anything else now.

I agree with you re- the availability of supplies. it is dire in Scotland. Maybe that's an idea for a gap in the market for a business. A nice wee shop with cake decorating supplies.

I'm also really disappointed at the lack of cake decorating competitions and clubs in this area. I'm also very envious of our US cake decorating friends!
I would love to get together with other cakers, but the nearest meeting to me is in Stirling, which is just too much of a drive of an evening as I have 3 kids. icon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif

Mama D

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #33 of 67

I too live in a small town where the nearest Michaels is 4 hrs away lol I feel with you...
I mostly depend on ebay with my cake supplies not the fondant though, other websites are too expensive for me I was looking for tip#1A I found it but the shipping by itself costs like $18 its ridiculous

I second Cake stuff they're great I tried them once & their shipping rates are not that bad.
I was mentioning this problem in front of my brother & he suggested to deal with a member on the forum to buy the supplies & ship them for me instead using regular mail, so helping each other out. I personally thought it was a great idea, especially posters from the USA things there somehow are way cheaper than anywhere else

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Just the thought of cake buddies coming could keep me awake all night.

have to go soon, it's after 11 pm here

I will dream. but honestly, I already have had 2 from Germany come visit, was sooo great, both of them want to come again next year, BLISS!!!

What are we, if we didn't have anything to dream about? Making it reality is the only thing, which could surpass a dream

it sounds fantastic its great to be in touch with cake makers round the world. Too right my dear departed dad always said to me you gotta have a dream.

Good night Shanghai over and out!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:36pm
post #35 of 67

Jeez oh, I never got an email to say this post had any replies, and now I see there are 3 pages! lol.

I added Satin Ice as a contact on facebook and noticed someone in Israel and someone in Italy had posted asking where they could buy their fondant and the company got straight back to them. I posted yesterday and didn't get a reply for ages and ages and the only reason they replied is because I complained that no one had answered my post. The response I got was this:

cakedeco.com

that's it, not Hi there sorry you're having issues blah blah blah, no pleasantries, just cakedeco.com. I have emailed the company twice to ask for EU distributors (as it does say they are a GLOBAL company) and have heard diddly squat. To be honest if their product is as bad as their customer service, it's probably a good thing it isn't stocked over here.

I've found a UK blog post that was posted in November 2010 that Fondarific are going to be stocking their fondant in the UK, but I can't find any more information than that. I'm going to email and see what they say.

I know that everyone has been great and posted alternative UK fondants, however it's not a price issue for me, I'm not looking to find something cheaper, I am looking for top quality. When you see people using Satin Ice, Massa, Fondx, Elite etc, they don't stretch or tear - regal ice is more like play doh than anything else, whereas the Satin Ice almost looks more leathery if that makes sense (I know that doesn't sound appetizing, but I mean it as a good thing). When I take regalice out of the packet and start to knead it, it breaks in half first like the consistency of grainy fudge, whereas once again the satin ice seems to be a much much much better consistency.

Mainly, I just want to have the options to try some decent fondants instead of having to use the same fondants that my nana would use to cover a christmas cake back in the 40's. I just feel like the USA has moved leaps and bounds ahead in terms of product range and quality and I feel like the UK is still stuck back in the old 'Fanny Craddock' era icon_sad.gif

Anyway, I suppose I'll just have to either stop moaning about it or move to the states - what a great couple of options lol

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:44pm
post #36 of 67

You should really try to get your hands on PME sugarpaste - it's English so must be pretty available in the UK, I think it's a fairly new product which is why no one really talks about it. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it - I prefer it to Regalice, and I am pretty limited here in Spain to what I can get too. I can get Satin Ice but its really expensive (like reaaallly, there's just no way I could make cakes with it and still turn a profit).

nanefy Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

You should really try to get your hands on PME sugarpaste - it's English so must be pretty available in the UK, I think it's a fairly new product which is why no one really talks about it. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it - I prefer it to Regalice, and I am pretty limited here in Spain to what I can get too. I can get but its really expensive (like reaaallly, there's just no way I could make cakes with it and still turn a profit).

Where do you buy satin ice from in Spain??

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #38 of 67

I have always used regalice but have just used covapaste for 2 cakes I did this week and i love it!!!

It is so soft and stretchy and doesnt have the dried/hard bits regalice does.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:20pm
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes

I agree too, I live in a big city, Birmingham and there is only one shop that sells cake dec products, I went to the fair at the NEC back in November, unfortunately hadnt got much money on me at the time so came out with hardly anything. It comes around again in Novenber this year so I suggest you and I take a stash of money (start saving now), you can buy absolutely everything you need there.

I'm near Birmingham!! I got excited when I saw your post... I'm a saddo lol... just had to reply ^_^

Ursula40 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:31pm
post #40 of 67

I was at the NEC last October as well, but I made sure I had enough money to shop, unfortunately I was seriously limited to what I could buy, due to luggage limitations on international flights.
But I entered and got a bronze

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:26am
post #41 of 67

I get frustrated with lack of availability of supplies here in Australia. I always thought you had it pretty good in the UK...in fact I order quite a lot of things from the UK and even with exchange rates and freight a lot of things are half or one third the price I would pay for them here.

Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #42 of 67

I was at the NEC last October as well, but I made sure I had enough money to shop, unfortunately I was seriously limited to what I could buy, due to luggage limitations on international flights.

LiLChum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiLChum Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #43 of 67

Coral3, I live in Adelaide...where do you live? I can't seem to get my hands on anything here unless I pay through the teeth...which hubby is quite opposed to when I'm only starting out.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:34am
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Ursula,
Are you going to return to the NEC for this year's show (4-6 Nov)? Which division did you win your Bronze in... International? C'mon brag a bit here!

Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:38am
post #45 of 67

No, this year I had to choose between Germany and England, and Germany won. I had been to B. twice ( but only entered last year for the first time) and Germany once, so..., flights are really long and expensive, plus the time difference....

Last year they were back to back, first B. then Hamburg, but this year they are a month apart, and I can't stay away that long, my family would flip (and I would go crazy)

Anyway it was a pastillage mask

Coral3 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:48am
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLChum

Coral3, I live in Adelaide...where do you live? I can't seem to get my hands on anything here unless I pay through the teeth...which hubby is quite opposed to when I'm only starting out.

I'm in TAS. My local supplies are limited to what a kitchenware shop can fit on two shelves squeezed into the dead corner at the back of the shop. About all I can get here are (massively overpriced) cake boards, Wilton food colour, piping bags and a few basic tips, and Orchard fondant from the supermarket...that's seriously about it. Luckily I go to Melbourne every few months or so I can get a bit from CakeDeco there, but their prices are hefty. Otherwise I order online. How did humans even survive before internet shopping!? icon_rolleyes.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:51am
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Otherwise I order online. How did humans even survive before internet shopping!? icon_rolleyes.gif

Before the internet we didn't know we NEEDED all this stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

AureaCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AureaCupcake Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:56am
post #48 of 67

Fondant Massa Ticino is from the Swiss company Barry Callebaut and can be ordered at
cakedeko.ch. they ship worldwide...

Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:24pm
post #49 of 67

Yeah I try and lug the stuff when I fly back from Germany, groan, no wonder myarms ffel so tired, but that stuff is great

LiLChum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiLChum Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:35pm
post #50 of 67
Quote:

About all I can get here are (massively overpriced) cake boards, Wilton food colour, piping bags and a few basic tips, and Orchard fondant from the supermarket...that's seriously about it.

Sounds about the same here...I went to a shop called Creative Cooks on the weekend, they do a lot of chocolate making stuff and they do have Wilton colouring, and some fondant cutters, etc...but I can never seem to find what I'm looking for. I go to Spotlight for my cake boards...they're a little more decently priced.
The internet can be dangerous...I'll have one of everything thankyou! icon_lol.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Where do you buy from in Spain??

From here: http://www.keyks.es/online/lang-en/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=satin+ice

They are the distributors in Spain. Not sure they sell abroad though, I don't buy much from them except SPS in the past.

nanefy Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #52 of 67

OK well I'm seriously excited about this Massa Ticino. I googled it and found there is a company in the UK that sells it called UK Fine Foods and I've emailed the scottish guy to see how I can buy it - but I'm thinking that its likely a company that only sells to other companies and not individuals, however I do have a LTD company, but it's an IT company lol.

Can anyone tell me if Massa Ticino is made by the same guys that make Massa Grischino? It sounds very very similar!!

nanefy Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #53 of 67

OK, just found out that Massa Grischuna and Massa Ticino are two completely different products made by two different companies. However Collette Peters uses the Ticino and apparently it is VERY VERY Good!!!! Apparently it's comparable with Grischuna so now I am SUPER excited.

I think I might be on the verge of a fondant breakthrough!!! lol

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #54 of 67

I've read your posts, and I'm impressed with your enthusiastic determination! I wish there was something I could do to help all of you. I feel guilty knowing that we have so much available when you don't. I'd offer to buy it for you and send it to you, however, experience taught me how expensive postage is. I video taped the Oklahoma Cake competition show along with other cake shows a couple of years ago for a cake buddy in England. It cost $15 postage to send 1 VHS tape and it took 7-10+ days for it to get there! I was shocked as the cost and length of time too! I offered and was happy to do it because I know how it is to love a craft so much. Too bad a couple of you ladies that live close to each other couldn't form a small business to import and sell American products in your area.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:33pm
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

I've read your posts, and I'm impressed with your enthusiastic determination! I wish there was something I could do to help all of you. I feel guilty knowing that we have so much available when you don't. I'd offer to buy it for you and send it to you, however, experience taught me how expensive postage is. I video taped the Oklahoma Cake competition show along with other cake shows a couple of years ago for a cake buddy in England. It cost $15 postage to send 1 VHS tape and it took 7-10+ days for it to get there! I was shocked as the cost and length of time too! I offered and was happy to do it because I know how it is to love a craft so much. Too bad a couple of you ladies that live close to each other couldn't form a small business to import and sell American products in your area.

Yeah you have such a fantastic range out there. Well this is kind of what i'm actually gonna start doing as I thought it such a great idea too. I have a friend in NY and we are gonna band together to bring decent stuff to these shores at a reasonable price. I get dismayed when I go over and I can only fit so much in a suitcase! Watch this space ladies icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:50am
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

Quote:

Otherwise I order online. How did humans even survive before internet shopping!? icon_rolleyes.gif

Before the internet we didn't know we NEEDED all this stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

So true!

Something I have noticed when ordering from the UK is that parcels can take just over a week to get here after the shipped date, other times they can take two months - and there doesn't seem to be any logic to it whatsoever. There doesn't appear to be a correlation between parcel size, or postage class and the length of time it takes to arrive.

At the moment I'm waiting on a parcel from the UK - I ordered two weeks ago and have no idea if it'll even arrive by the start of April which is when I need the supplies...so I'm planning the backup cake in my head already, ha!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:30am
post #57 of 67

Hey nanefy, maybe the lack of great cake supplies was why we left for the new world. Just hop on a boat and join us.

nanefy Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Hey nanefy, maybe the lack of great cake supplies was why we left for the new world. Just hop on a boat and join us.

You know what, for years I've wanted to move to the States and if it wasn't for church I would be seriously considering it.

However peoples of the UK - I have some GOOD GOOD news!!!!

I just phoned Town & Country Fine Foods who sell Carma Massa Ticino and they were excellent and very friendly.

You don't need a company to set up an account with them - you can go down one of two routes, you can either set up an account with a 28 day invoice but for this you do need to have a registered company. The other route is you can set up an account and pay on order and you don't need a registered company, but you have to spend a minimum of £80. They have emailed me the price list if anyone wants a copy, but they sell loads of stuff that you would easily be able to make the order up to £80. The Massa Ticino is £45.56 and that is for 7k - I think the price is quite reasonable to be honest, especially if you use less product than the likes of regal ice because of it's quality. I'm going to be ordering either today or tomorrow and I will report back about what I think about it.

I'M HAPPY!!!! icon_smile.gif

nanefy Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #59 of 67

OK, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I just received my Massa Ticino today and excited to use it.

I also order the modelling paste by the same company 'Massa Modela White Modelling Paste'. OK, this is definitely NOT gumpaste - I had to send it back after opening and trying it because it was nothing like gum paste. I had emailed the company and asked if it was a gum paste and if I could make sugar craft flowers that would dry hard and he said he believed it was. Anyway, opened it up and this stuff was SOLID!!! Not solid in a dry way, but solid like candle wax. I looked at the ingredients and all it was, was sugar, hydrogenated vegetable fat and glucose syrup (and some other techno jargon). Managed to cut a bit off, nearly maimed myself with the knife because this stuff is like a brick - managed to cut off maybe about 3g lol and started to try and knead it - it does get a bit softer, but it's basically just like kneading a candle. Popped it into the microwave for about 5 seconds and it just melted straight away (once again like a candle), it was greasy and chewy - tasted good, but not suitable for sugarcraft. Anyway phoned TC Fine Foods and they were excellent - they have arranged to have it picked up and refund the money. I actually couldn't recommend TC Fine Foods enough, they are excellent to deal with and extremely friendly. Lets just hope that I have a good experience with the fondant (fingers crossed).

tubbyswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tubbyswife Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #60 of 67

Just wondering how you got on with the fondant nanefy?
Im going to be doing my first proper wedding cake in a few weeks time and looking for a good fondant to use. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%