Hello Kitty Cake

Decorating By kryptonite Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 9:54am by fifimau

kryptonite Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 9

I've been asked to do a Hello Kitty Cake for my neice's 3rd birthday...just a fairly simple quarter sheet cake. These are the plates/napkins they will be using:
http://www.partycity.com/product/hello+kitty+party+supplies.do
Do you guys have any clever ideas how I can incorporate those colors/designs into the cake without copying them exactly? Thank you so much!!

8 replies
cakesrock Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 9

I would do a round cake with Hello kitty (face) on the top, then have the balloons coming out of the cake on wires on top. You could add the stars around the sides of the cake. Then you get the same design, color etc, but it's not exact. You could even do the little stripes on the cake board.

platinumlady Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:55am
post #3 of 9

You could carve the sheet cake to the outline of hello kitty & then decorate the cake in the outfit in the pic...& make some cupcakes to put on the board & decorate like the balloons and add some fondant stars around the cake board. And on the board where the plates say "Hello Kitty" you can put "Happy Birthday"

jo3d33 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:27am
post #4 of 9

I just did one a few weeks ago...saw a napkin and took my inspiration from that. (the polka dot tier in my photos.) It's a fun cake. I really like hello kitty.

kryptonite Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 9

Wow! I love all of those ideas! Any tips on doing the balloons on wires? jo3d33, that cake is PERFECT!!

cakesrock Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 9

Hope it's not too late, but for "things on wires" I found this to be the best method:
- use gumpaste or mix tylose (or gumtex) with your fondant (I use the latter)
- cut your shape (I generally use cookie cutters) 1/4 - 1/2 inch or so thick - a bit thicker than you'd cut a cookie. You don't want it too heavy or it will flop off the wire, but if it's too thin, the wire will poke out
- use an 18 guage wire you buy at a craft store in the floral section (this will bend a bit but won't 'bob') So, you can have it standing straight up or bend it a bit to look like a bouquet. Use 20 guage if you want it to bend more. Though, I find it too floppy.
- heat the end of your wire with a lighter for about 10 15 secs and insert through the bottom of the cut -out. This eliminates having to use gum glue. Push it all the to at least the middle of the cut out. Don't worry if it pops out, just push it back in and repair with a bit of water. Let it dry and try not to move it (until dry). It will take at least overnight, depending on if you use gumpaste or fondant - fondant will take a little bit longer (and depends on thickness of thing) .
- when you insert the 'thing on wire' into the cake, you can put it in a straw (I use coffee stirrers, as it fits perfectly). If you want more of a 'bouquet look, then put all the wires into 1 straw. You can use a thicker straw, depending on how many wires you want to use.
-Do not insert the wire directly into the cake ! It's not foodsafe- see big thread discussion....
-I am thankful to the cc'er who gave me this advice (wish I could remember who) as it saved me much grief!
Here's a sample (cake's not so great, but the wire bouquet worked well:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1622774
Good luck!

kryptonite Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you soooo much, cakesrock!!! What a perfect explanation!

cakesrock Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite

Thank you soooo much, cakesrock!!! What a perfect explanation!

You are welcome and good luck with the cake. Please post pics after!

fifimau Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:54am
post #9 of 9

Few customer bought this cake tin from us two weeks ago.

http://www.bakingfrenzy.com/4-inches-hello-kitty-cake-tin-p-266.html

I will contact them to ask for the photos of the end product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%