Business Tagline Help?

Business By ladixiechic1 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:50am by sweetcakes

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 18

I currently going through the process to get my license icon_smile.gif . I am enclosing my garage and installing a commercial kitchen. I have chosen my business name "Sweet Spot" but I am having problems with a tagline to go with my business name. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

17 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 18

You may want to use the Mission Statement format to tag your name. In seven words or less, state the full description of your business. This is also a good addition to business cards and any correspondence. For example, "Sweet Spot, We Start From Scratch Every Morning". What do you specialize in?

ladixiechic1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 18

I was going to put on my business card, "Specialty Cakes, Decorated Cookies & Confections" but I was also told that I needed a catchy tagline. Thanks for the reply!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 18

You need to combine it. The public will not read it if it is too wordy. It also needs to reflect why you are different... why should the customer pick you. It's a tough task, but all big business does it. Think of it as the line you would put on your vehicle, being read as it goes down the road. I don't share the specifics of my business, but in two lines, eight total words, my company name and my entire business is clear and to the point. There is no mistaking what I do. And it is a concept I have never seen. This is not easy.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 18

Suggestions??? Errr, I probably shouldn't touch it with a 10 1/2 ft. pole because "Sweet Spot" sounds like it could imply something nasty or erotic... "We'll Scratch Your Itch!"

ladixiechic1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 18

icon_razz.gif that is too funny. Well the name was purposely chosen to catch your eye and make you look/read what we are about.

Unlimited Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladixiechic1

icon_razz.gif that is too funny. Well the name was purposely chosen to catch your eye and make you look/read what we are about.

Tell us what you are about.

ladixiechic1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 18

specialty cakes, decorated cookies, etc

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 18

What makes your business different? There are probably several other businesses in your area that make specialty cakes and decorated cookies.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 18

"We hit it everytime!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

"We hit it everytime!"

You sell bows and arrows? icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gif

One of my BIG peeves and a constant lecture topic is bad business cards. If someone gave me their card and I had to ask, "What is it that you do?" then they had a bad biz card.

When I collected 50-200 cards a week, by the end of the week, when I went to file them away, I coldn't remember everyone I had met. And unfortunately for them, if I couldn't tell by looking at their card what it was they did, then I couldn't determine if I might need their service someone.

Card went in the trash can.

So ...... pretend you know nothing about your business. If you looked at your business card, would you know what your business was all about? (and by the way, having a picture of a cake on the card is helpful, but if that's the extent or your marketing plan .......?)

WykdGud Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 18

I believe she asked for a tag line - or slogan - which is NOT the same as a business description. Nike says "Just do it!" Does that indicate that they sell shoes? There are tons of slogans that have nothing to do with the products being sold - they are meant to help you remember the company. You don't need to pick apart anyone else's advice to add your own Debi. Just sayin'...

If it wasn't obvious, what I wrote was meant to indicate that her products hit the "sweet spot". I guess not everyone would get that though. Oh well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 18

My apologies if it sounded like i was "picking apart" anyone else's advice, because that never crossed my mind. I was not attempting to 'tear down' anyone else's suggestions, but merely was adding add'l information to the already good information that had been shared thus far.

Slogans and taglines became almost a hobby of mine ... studying them and comparing them to the business itself. I've seen too many that sounded nice but were NOT memorable to the business. And I've thrown out too many business cards that did not relay the vitally important message of what the business does.

Here's a couple of articles on taglines that I have in my collection that may help the OP:

http://www.copyblogger.com/tagline-mystery/

http://www.taglineguru.com/nuts_and_bolts.html

And this one's not bad, either! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2010/08/whats-your-message.html

ladixiechic1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:34pm
post #14 of 18

WykdGud ~ I got it and thought it was hilarious. That is exactly the type of tag lines I am looking for. icon_wink.gif Thanks!

Unlimited Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:22pm
post #15 of 18

So, you'd like an erotic sound to it?

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #16 of 18

I agree that it could go a bit on the erotic side depending on how you market yourself. That would be great if you did the erotic specialty cakes. If that's not the direction you're going, what about something like a little treasure map, a cake/cupcake/whatever "marks the spot" with a tag like, "Find all your sweet treasures here".....? Something like that could take it in a different direction.

WykdGud Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:20am
post #17 of 18

I didn't think of it as being erotic, and I actually do have a dirty mind... I meant it more like when you eat something and say "that hits the spot". Y'all are just perverted I guess. Heh.

I can see it being a little double entendre-ish though.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #18 of 18

'Not a cake crumb will be left'

'you pick it, we'll bake it' LOL, playing off the 'spot' in your name

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%