Gah! Mm Fondant Not Working For Me

Baking By MikiBug Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm by MikiBug

MikiBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikiBug Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I'm attempting my first fondant cake for my daughters First birthday and I've decided the MMF would be the simplest one to attempt. I found a recipe online and last night i made it all up (which was pretty simple) and wrapped it up in cling wrap and left it in the fridge overnight. So today i got it out and started rolling it out with a rolling pin and it was very... springy? it would roll out but then shrink back down a bit in size as soon as the rolling pin left it and i couldn't get it very thin no matter how hard i pressed down on it.

The recipe i used: (i'm australian so hopefully it'll make sense)

1kg icing sugar
500g marshmellows
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbl water

Hopefully it's something simple i'm doing wrong.. so if anyone can shed some light on it it would be greatly appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 6

I am very inexperienced and have never made MMF, but I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't refrigerate it. I also will be interested in what people with experience have to say.

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

try microwaving it for like 5-10 seconds and then knead it out on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. You also may need to knead in some crisco. Remember to roll it into a tight loaf or ball shape and grease the outside with crisco before wrapping it in cling and storing it in the fridge. =)

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not quite certain of your quantities since i'm american, but it sounds about right. BUT you should NOT refrigerate it. It would be too hard to work with. Just let it set at room temperature for a while to warm up. Or you can pop in in the microwave, for a few seconds at a time...you don't want to over-do it. Even sitting at room temperature, mine gets to hard to work with sometimes, so i just microwave it for a few seconds and knead it. It works really well. Hope this helps.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 6

Next time try adding about a tbs of Karo Syrup (glycerine or the equivalent in Australia??) to your melted marshmellows; it will help give your MMF flexibility.

MikiBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikiBug Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much everyone for your help!! Will give it another go... I was going to give up and put it in the "too hard" basket but will give it another go after your tips! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%