Smooth Buttercream..

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 4:36am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #1 of 3

Ok..so I have made buttercream with high ratio shortening, water, sifted sugar,salt and ext..the recipe very close to a "t" and so when I add a little water,,the buttercream is TOOO stiff so i add more water to thin it up some..but when I put on cake to crust.,,the crust is soo hard that I can't seem to get that really smooth look like I want,,,so then I place spatulas in hot, hot water and smooth the sides but it takes forever! SO then when

I make indydebi's b/c, it does the same..I've done all of the things to make it right including the viva method and it's just so crackly..too crackly for me to even get real smooth! I"M SOOO FRUSTRATED b/c I want to get this down!! I like doing fondant cakes better, but I want to master the iced only cakes..and I'm not sure what's going on! Please help me! Thanks!

2 replies
Corrie76 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:19am
post #2 of 3

it doesn't take a lot of liquid to make a BC a crusting one (1/4 cup max!) and it sounds to me like you're adding too much water...if your icing gets too stiff do not add more liquid- instead add more shortening. I personally, use milk or half and half instead of water as well. HTH

jenscreativity Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 3

Ohhh thank you soo much.>i'll try that tomorrow! Thank you, thank you!!

I had a feeling too much liquid,,so I'll try more shortening then or add milk,,but I tried milk,,and it did same thing,,so more shortening..

Jenifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%