Storage Of Fondant Cakes In A Humid Environment

Decorating By ChelleW Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 2:48am by ajwonka

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 10

Can anybody tell me the best way to store fondant covered cakes and cupcakes in a humid environment (Australia)?? I have been storing them in cardboard cake boxes and also in a glass and metal cake plate and yet the fondant still goes sticky and shiny!! Is there anything that you can place in the container to absorb the moisture that is still food safe??

9 replies
bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 10

Hi ChelleW !welcome to CC...in my experience, i just have to turn the a/c on when the fondant starts to sweat & get sticky..then turn a/c off as soon as fondant dries up...i don't think there is a special container to avoid this...or maybe there is i am not aware of...hope this helps icon_smile.gif

bobbie

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 10

Sorry, when I pasted the link, it erased everything else I had typed. The link is for silica gel - it will help absorb the moisture out of the air surrounding your cakes if they are in a sealed container (covered cake plate or box).

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 10

If you are storing dummy cakes and want to keep them nice , or even flowers , the little silica gel packets are great , for large cakes I store them in a cardboard box, but I also use a Hippo ( brand Name ) or closet camel , You can find them in the supermarket cleaning aisle. they are a little pot with moisture absorbing crystals in them .

If you are trying to dry flowers out , in the humid rainy weather we have been having of late in SE QLD , pop a hippo in a box with the flowers and they dry well and won't flop .

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 10

Oh and if you are desperate and can't get any of the above things, some rice will work too.

ChelleW Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:25am
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for your advice. Unfortunately i don't have air con so will try the silica and hippo crystals. I considered this but was worried that I might poison someone! Good to know there is a solution!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:43am
post #8 of 10

Wow! Great info! I am in Florida & summers can be rough here. Are the products mentioned reusable? Or are they for one time use only? TIA!

ChelleW Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:31am
post #9 of 10

Hi the Hippo thing which may be an australian brand??!! is just one of those damp collectors that you can use in wardrobes etc so they last as long as the crystals are there to absorb moisture. The silica gel is the same i think! Hopefully it will work for you too!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:48am
post #10 of 10

Excellent information! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%