2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
8 tsp. cold water
2 cups heavy whipping cream (very cold)
1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
Small saucepan
Medium mixing bowl
Electric mixer/beater
Chill the mixing bowl and beaters for about an hour.

Combine unflavored gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Set aside, allowing it to stand until thick.

Put thickened mixture in a saucepan over low heat, and stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves. Do not overcook. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.

Combine cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer in the chilled mixing bowl until it's slightly thickened.

Add gelatin gradually to the whipped cream mixture while beating slowly.

Whip at a high speed until the mixture is stiff.

I keep getting chunks of gelatin in the finished product. It's driving me INSANE!

What am I doing wrong????
THANK YOU!

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

It's likely that your gelatin has set up too much before using it, you need to make sure the gelatin if fully dissolved but has not started to set up- timing is everything

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

It's likely that your gelatin has set up too much before using it, you need to make sure the gelatin if fully dissolved but has not started to set up- timing is everything

I've had the same thing happen, and couldn't agree more........timing is everything.

mim1106 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 6

Ok, so cook less? Ugh I am about to give up. Thank you for the help! I appreciate it

sugardugar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 6

You honestly have to test your gelatin every 3 seconds and add it at the perfect time. If your gelatin is firm, at all, you will get chunks.

If you find this impossible try a different recipe! Many people use pudding/piping gel/etc to stabilize.

mim1106 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:33am
post #6 of 6

Thank you, sugardugar. I think I'll try a different recipe. I'd be so embarrassed to ice a cake and have someone bite down on that nasty thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%