Number 50 Cake - Help

Decorating By Chala86 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 12:11pm by platinumlady

Chala86 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a number 50 cake for Friday and I have to say I'm feeling a bit apprehensive. I've never done this before and am now panicing because I'm not really sure wherre to start. I'm still waiting to find out what sort of size they want it - should find out tomorrow but does anyone have any tips to help me along here? I really could use your expertise...

7 replies
Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 8

Just print a big huge number on the computer (if it takes two pieces of paper per number, its okay, just tape it together before cutting it out) and then use that as a guide to cut out your sheet cakes.

Good luck!

babeegrl87 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 8

that will be an easy on as long as you seal in the crumbs. Just bake 2 rectangle pans like 13 x9 and cut out the 5 and 0 using wax paper and piping gel trace the 5 and 0 on the wax paper with the piping gel. Lightly press it over the cake and slowly pull of the wax paper and you have your guide for cutting the cake. just make sure you seal in those crumbs they will get ya every time icon_smile.gif hope this helped a little.

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 8

Do you have Microsoft publisher on your computer? If you're not sure, go to start--programs--Microsoft office (where your Word program is) and see if publisher is installed. If you do have publisher, you can use a font you like and place the number 50 and print it "poster" style. This is a great way to make a larger template. Poster printing will print large images on several 8.5x11 paper that you can tape together and then cut out. Ideally you would print it on card stock to give you a stiffer template but it will work with regular paper.

I usually print it off and compare it to my sheet pan size to estimate servings. Hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 8

Here's a template that shows how you can put numbers together like babeegrl87 was saying.... Even tho' I carved free hand I was eying this chart to see where my cuts need to be

Chala86 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:28am
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful. Yes I have publisher. Will be the first time I've made use of it.

Chala86 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:13am
post #7 of 8

Does anyone have a recipe adapted to fit a 13 x 9in cake? I'm trying to work out how much of everything I need but find myself struggling to convert. Just for a plain sponge cake. Any tried and tested recipes?

platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 8

just realized the link to the template didn't it is:

Quote by @%username% on %date%