Client Asking For A Way Less Sweet Frosting! Help!

Baking By SamRamz Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 2:49am by NanaSandy

SamRamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamRamz Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 13

My customer wants a less sweet butter cream frosting. I have NO clue what to try. Any ideas?

12 replies
Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 13

IMBC (italian meringue butter cream) or SMBC ( swiss meringue) Basically the same but2 different ways of making it. I have a friend who hates sweet frosting but loves IMBC.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 13

I dont know what type of frosting you usually work with but smbc is less sweet than american. if it's still too sweet just put a little salt in the mix to cut down on the sweetness.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #4 of 13

Maybe stabilized whipped cream with very little added icing sugar...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 13

I like the whipped cream buttercream in recipes. It tastes less sweet and best of all, can be left at room temp.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 13

If you add a dash of salt to your icing...it cut some of the sweetness out

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #7 of 13

along with the smbc, imbc, there is also a cooked flour buttercream. recipe on this site. they are basically the same taste. little difference in some of the recipes. delicious.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:15am
post #8 of 13

Replace 1/2 of your shortening with margarine or salted butter and it is not as sweet.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 13

Simply add less sugar, that's what I do. It will be creamy, less sweet, tho not crusting so keep that in mind.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 13

I don't understand why customers make that request in the first place. I'm a baker and I own a business. I have recipes that I use for my business. If you (customer) don't like how they taste, you really should find a baker who uses recipes you LIKE instead of asking me to change mine! icon_rolleyes.gif

To the OP: You could spend a lot of money and waste a lot of time trying to come up with a "less sweet buttercream" trying to please this client, and they still might not like the results! You could certainly try an SMBC, but it's very different to work with than an American buttercream, which it sounds like that's what you normally use. If you aren't used to it, you could have trouble smoothing it and even making it.

If you still want to try to accommodate this client, and if you normally use an American buttercream....I'd suggest doing any or a combination of the following: replace some - or all - of the liquid with sour cream; use less powdered sugar and add meringue powder, which is not sweet and will help add volume and stability....maybe use 1 Tbsp, depending on how much buttercream you're making; replace some of the liquid with a little lemon juice....not enough to change the taste, but enough to help cut the sweet. It really doesn't take much at all, so start small and add if needed.

Again, even making the small changes I suggested will take you out of your comfort zone of what you KNOW works for you, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it or if you should let this client look for someone else.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 13

tonedna's recipe (designmeacake.com I think) is way less sweet than all the other recipes I've tried. And it's a dream to work with.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 13

I'm with icer101. The cooked flour icing is a lot less sugary tasting but is still creamy and delicious.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:49am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I like the whipped cream buttercream in recipes. It tastes less sweet and best of all, can be left at room temp.

Do you have a recipe for this? I am also needing to do a cake that has a not so sweet icing..??
Any help would be appreciated!!
TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%