Help! How Do I Get An "ice" Affect?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm by Debi2

Debi2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake where the base looks like a block of ice and I'm not sure how to get the "ice" affect....any ideas? I will be covering the cake in fondant first. I need to start this week so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

6 replies
CWR41 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

Does the cake itself need to look like ice, or just the base?

If the latter, you could use glass blocks for the base.

sugardugar Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 7

Depends on the ice effect... You can paint with luster dust, the shiny-ness will look sorta icy. You can use poured sugar to get a true glass look. Or you can gloss with Piping gel to get a wet look.

Debi2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, the actual cake will be the block of ice.

Great idea to use the glass block though...I'll keep that filed away for another project sometime! icon_wink.gif

I had thought about using the piping gel, but since it doesn't dry hard, it's a bit messy to put all over, so I was thinking of using that as a last resort. Have you ever used luster dust under a thin layer of piping gel? I wonder if the combination would give a sheen and a bit of a reflective type appearance like a solid block of ice would have? Or, could I airbrush the luster dust over the thin layer of piping gel? I'm not sure how that would work either....has anyone tried this before? I might have to play around on a scrap piece of fondant and see what happens. icon_wink.gif

Great suggestions you guys! Thanks!

More options are still welcome and appreciated icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 7

For anyone else needing to know this....I did a search online last weekend and found that if you use a 50/50 mix of vodka and corn syrup and brush that on the fondant it works perfectly for a glassy look. It dries well and isn't sticky. I highly recommend this if you need a very shiny look to your cake or decorations.

mommynana Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Debie2, Good to know.

Debi2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by mommynana

Thanks, Debie2, Good to know.

You're very welcome! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%