Help! How Do I Get An "ice" Affect?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm by Debi2

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake where the base looks like a block of ice and I'm not sure how to get the "ice" affect....any ideas? I will be covering the cake in fondant first. I need to start this week so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Debi

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

Does the cake itself need to look like ice, or just the base?

If the latter, you could use glass blocks for the base.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 7

Depends on the ice effect... You can paint with luster dust, the shiny-ness will look sorta icy. You can use poured sugar to get a true glass look. Or you can gloss with Piping gel to get a wet look.

Debi2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

CWR41;

Yes, the actual cake will be the block of ice.

Great idea to use the glass block though...I'll keep that filed away for another project sometime! icon_wink.gif

sugardugar;

I had thought about using the piping gel, but since it doesn't dry hard, it's a bit messy to put all over, so I was thinking of using that as a last resort. Have you ever used luster dust under a thin layer of piping gel? I wonder if the combination would give a sheen and a bit of a reflective type appearance like a solid block of ice would have? Or, could I airbrush the luster dust over the thin layer of piping gel? I'm not sure how that would work either....has anyone tried this before? I might have to play around on a scrap piece of fondant and see what happens. icon_wink.gif

Great suggestions you guys! Thanks!

More options are still welcome and appreciated icon_smile.gif

Debi

Debi2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 7

For anyone else needing to know this....I did a search online last weekend and found that if you use a 50/50 mix of vodka and corn syrup and brush that on the fondant it works perfectly for a glassy look. It dries well and isn't sticky. I highly recommend this if you need a very shiny look to your cake or decorations.

Debi

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Debie2, Good to know.

Debi2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

Thanks, Debie2, Good to know.

You're very welcome! thumbs_up.gif