Separated Buttercream

Baking By klutzy_baker Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 4:43pm by bakencake

klutzy_baker Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 5

I recently made SMBC and American BC and both have separated. At first they were fine, but after 10-20 min, you could see the butter separating. I've not had this problems before and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The SMBC I would re-whip and it would come back together, but then it would separate again. The only thing I could think is that my house is pretty cold (63 F). Could that play a factor?

I tried to use the search option to find info, but when I get the the second page, it says "not results found".

Thanks a bunch for any information!

4 replies
misscrazy4cakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

could you post the recipe you have used? I don't believe it is the cold.

klutzy_baker Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

Sure, I'm sorry about that.

1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 to 3 cups (10 to 12 ounces) confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons (1 to 2 ounces) milk

Cream together the butter and/or shortening until fluffy. beat in the salt, and the vanilla. Add the confectioners' or glazing sugar, 2 tablespoons of the milk, and beat well.

Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Adjust the consistency of the frosting as needed by adding more confectioners' sugar or milk.

I added the 12 oz of sugar and needed about 3 T of milk.

misscrazy4cakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 5

hmmm...i'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like it has to do with the ratio of confect. sugar to butter. Generally for me I use about 2 cups confectioners sugar to 1/2 cup butter. You may be having to add too much milk/liquid, and that is causing it to separate.

bakencake Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 5

not sure what exactly is wrong but im sure it's not the cold house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%