Leaf Press Disaster

Decorating By TryToTri Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm by Karen421

TryToTri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TryToTri Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 12

I purchased a Wilton leaf press and cannot seem to get the leaves out in one piece. Does anyone have any tips? (I used fondant) Thanks!

11 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #2 of 12

I bought that a long time ago and was never, for the life of me, able to figure out how to make it work. I recently tossed it. Sorry, maybe someone else has had luck with it and can help you.

Deb_D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_D Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:22am
post #3 of 12

Cornstarch dusted in the press, and then a toothpick to gently remove. That's worked for me in the past.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 12

I have read that letting the fondant sit up a bit may help. I have never tried this but read that it helped with the tiny letter cutters that they sell. I used the flower press and had the same problems that you did. icon_sad.gif When I took wilton classes they didn't cover that product but the new classes and book do. It's still not very helpful though. Good luck.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #5 of 12

Dust it real good with powder sugar and if it stays attached, slap it on the edge of the counter. If all else fails use a toothpick to get stem out first.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:03am
post #6 of 12

I have the leaf press and the button flower press...I am also a wilton instructor. Most problems arise because the fondant is too moist. To remedy this, cut your rectangle out and leave it to set up and dry a little. when you're ready to place it into the mold /press, place the dry side face down in the mold and press. You also want to make sure that you dont roll your fondant too thin. this is a thicker flower and if rolled to thin you'll have real issues when trying to get it to release properly. Also our trainers told us to never dust them with sugar or cornstarch. It could start caking up around the edges and corners and may give you issues later. The more you use the presses, the more seasoned it's gonna get and the lessissues you're gonna have with them. I hope this helps.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:22am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri4292adams

Also our trainers told us to never dust them with sugar or cornstarch. It could start caking up around the edges and corners and may give you issues later.

Last year's Beyond the Basics they told us the completely opposite. After that I've dusted mine & haven't had a problem since. Now they are pretty seasoned & I rarely need to dust.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:35am
post #8 of 12

huh, I attended the seminar last september and was told not to! After I was told that, I never did and I've never had an issue. Here in TX it's a pretty dry climate and maybe that has something to do with it.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:37am
post #9 of 12

You know that's probably why the climate...I'm in Kansas...so our weather is totally different

TryToTri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TryToTri Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:21am
post #10 of 12

Thanks for your replies. I did roll out the fondant and let it set up before using the press, but it did not work for me. Am considering chucking it, but I hate not being able to make something work!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 12

I live in Texas, am an WMI and have dusted mine. I actually have my students run their dusting puff over the fondant too before they put it in there.

When I don't dust it I can't get the pieces out. When I dust it 9 times out of 10 they come out easier.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12

A little dusting of corn starch, on the fondant and the press and a little tylose in the fondant and it should come out! Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%