Pudding Cake Disaster. Not Sure What To Make At This Point

Baking By schustc Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 3:36am by platinumlady

schustc Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

I found a recipe on line that used one box of cake mix, one box of pudding, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup water, 4 eggs, and 1 cup of sour cream.

The cake is DELICIOUS.. i mean - so moist. but it was too moist to hold together. It just fell apart and is just in chunks in my kitchen. I don't know if I should try the pudding again, or WHAT to do. I am thinking of just using straight mix , or doing fom scratch - but adding all that stuff to the mix just made it impossible to hold together. tastes awesome, and great with icecream. but no way could i put it into my 3 D cake.. luckily i was going to make and freeze the cakes for next weekend i am so disappointed. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
shari3boys Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 5

im curious which cake you are talking about and where did you get it?
This happened to a recipe i have also that sounds very similar...
It tasted great though

platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

It wasn't done... I learned this from just regular baking before I started decorating. I use a similar recipe & carve just fine. There's a couple of tricks that I use:

-be careful not to over beat the cake. (Don't let it get totally smooth)
-don't grease pan right before you out batter in grease & let it sit for at least 5-10min (so the cake doesn't absorb more of the oil)
-don't open oven for the 1st 20 mins
-let it cook for additional 5-10 mins (depending on size of cake) after you get 1st clean stick (toothpick)
-don't let it sit in pan more than 15 after you take it out of the stove
-make sure you flip on a cooling rack not a board to cool...

Like I said earlier ...I use a similar recipe & it carves just fine. And it's still moist after baking the additional time.

HTH

schustc Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

I used Duncan Hines cake mix - devils food. I actually did something i've never don before, but took what was left of it, lined the 10" cake pan with plastic, and pressed the cake into it as if I were molding it. It took a 2" cake and made it a 1" cake, so it's dense, but it's for family and it keeps me from losing a batch. it was moist enough that it all just bonded together. LOL.. ok it's nuts I know, but its all getting covered an should taste fine.

as for cooking, the recipe i used was for a 9 x 13 pan, but I needed 2 10" pans so I was having trouble guessing the cooking time. with the added ingredients, I had no idea - so just started checking it after about 35 minutes with a tooth pick until it came out clean. it looked great until it came out and sat. I ALSO used the trick of wrapping damp towels around the pan to keep the cake level (first time) but I wonder if the added moisture in the air in the oven, with the moist cake, was just over kill.

I just made a double batch that appears to have come out much beter. I added 2 boxes of pudding to 2 cake mixes, added all the called for ingredients, and added 8 oz of sourcream (4 per mix)..

it seems to have held well - i had 4 pans in the oven, the top 2 cooked more quickly, so they came out about 10-15 min before the bottom rack ones. but they look to be ok...

I am still learning on some of the trick - oh and this time i skipped the towels around the pans. I didslam them on the counter a few times which was aother trick to flatten them and that did work.

platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

Glad it's working out...I use DH as well
sometimes the best way we learn is by trial & error

Let us know how everything turns out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%