Insane Cake Order. To Do Or Not To Do?

Decorating By Bettyviolet101 Updated 8 May 2011 , 11:20pm by SarahBeth3

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 18

So I have a friend who is getting married in over a year and a half and she wants me to do her 3 tier wedding cake AND the grooms cake which will be a 3D car. I am thinking I am going to let her know I need to do 1 or the other because I have only been at this for a year and a half and I am only 1 person. The pressure would be insane!! Its funny how people have no clue what goes into cakes. What do you guys think?

17 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 18

since the wedding is a year out so you think you would be able to craft your skills do some practice runs on the car... I've seen tons of tutorials on cars It sounds like a lot now...but in a year I think you could do it

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 18

I routinely take 3 weddings for the same day. (I've cut back a little this year.) Some of those also have groom's cakes. You can do it.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 18

Someone just posted this on another thread....great tutorial on making a 3D car

http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/how-to-make-a-3d-car-cake-fid-314902

HTH icon_wink.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

So I have a friend who is getting married in over a year and a half and she wants me to do her 3 tier wedding cake AND the grooms cake which will be a 3D car. I am thinking I am going to let her know I need to do 1 or the other because I have only been at this for a year and a half and I am only 1 person. The pressure would be insane!! Its funny how people have no clue what goes into cakes. What do you guys think?

Go Betty you can do it have a little faith in yourself. I know its stressful everytime I take on a lot or a wedding cake I get a little stressed cos we all want it to be perfect. I only finished my final cake decorating diploma weeks before my friends wedding. I didn't think i could do it but I took it head on. 4 tier cake for her (my first!) 200 hand piped cookie favours and I was bridesmaid. You have time to practice - i'd say practice the car I've done a few vehicles and they take some working but you'll do it. Good luck

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:25am
post #6 of 18

I say go for it, im sure you will have enough time to perfect your skills! It is scary I can agree. I went through the same thing for my brother's wedding this last year... I did his grooms cake, the 4 tier wedding cake AND I was the Matron of Honor. A LOT going on, not to mention it was my first wedding cake!

I have only been into cake decorating a year now...learning every step of the way. But I can definitely say if your friend has asked you to take on something as important as her wedding, they see your talent, and have faith in you!

Don't worry, it will be a little stressful, but from what you will learn in the process, it will all be worth it! Plus you have everyone here to confide in as you prepare!

Best of luck!

jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #7 of 18

Im actually in the process this week of making a five teir wedding cake and a grooms cake for a friend. I am also the matron of honor. The key is to have everything planned and to practice the cakes before hand! Good luck you can do it!

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:26am
post #8 of 18

I'm a beginner and the idea sounds extremely scary...BUT...with that being said, I think you have been given an amazing chance to improve your skills, grow, learn, and prove to yourself that you can do it. I think you can deffinitely make it work!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 18

you can do it. just pace yourself and schedule what you are going to do on each day.

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 18

Are you pretty confident that you can do one or the other? I have confidence you will be able to do both in 1-1/2 years. You will do a lot of cakes before then so tell her yes and then in a year if you feel you can't do both she would have 6 months to get someone else to do one of the cakes or you could offer to find someone for her. Go for it!

Bettyviolet101 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:28am
post #11 of 18

Wow you guys are so sweet!!! icon_smile.gif Well there has been a little change. I am pregnant! lol! I have not done a cake in abotu 1 and 1/2 months and have no desire to. I am sure my desire will come back after my first trimester yuckies are over. Anyways you guys have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for all the kind words and advice!

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:50am
post #12 of 18

Congratulations!

Bettyviolet101 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:02am
post #13 of 18

Thanks! I also have 2 other toddlers!! This is gonna be nuts! icon_smile.gif

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:19am
post #14 of 18

A year ago I was pregnant too and the smell of fondant literally made me sick. I kept doing cakes but all of a sudden I HATED it and wondered what I had gotten myself into. I did a wedding cake 2 weeks before I had my baby and I was so sore and my back kept giving out and again I wondered what in the heck I was doing. I had invested so much time and money into getting into the cake business that I felt like I couldn't just walk away. Now the baby's 8 months old and I'm still doing cakes. It's hard to fit in sometimes (I have 4 other kids also) but I'm back to LOVING it. You might need to adjust things a bit but you can do it! Just make it through the pregnancy before you make any major decisions about quitting or not! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck and congratulations! Babies are wonderful! icon_biggrin.gif

Bettyviolet101 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:35am
post #15 of 18

Awe I love hearing about mom's with big familes. Especially cake maken mamas! icon_smile.gif You have inspired me! Its nice to know that you can HATE something you once LOVED and then go back to loving it. Thanks for the congrats. We are excited. That will be 3 babies in 4 years. We are on a role lol! Good luck with your little ones and your cake business as well!

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

Awe I love hearing about mom's with big familes. Especially cake maken mamas! icon_smile.gif You have inspired me! Its nice to know that you can HATE something you once LOVED and then go back to loving it. Thanks for the congrats. We are excited. That will be 3 babies in 4 years. We are on a role lol! Good luck with your little ones and your cake business as well!

Mom's with big families? Well, I have 8 kids! And you bet it's loads of fun trying to reach over your nine month stomach to roll out a slab of fondant! lol! My baby is one year, and my oldest is 14, a set of twins thrown in there for good measure. I'm so busy making birthday cakes for my kids that I barely have time for outside orders! Keep on smiling, you cakin' mommies! Best of luck to you.

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #17 of 18

Coincidentally, on the day before you posted this question, I brought the three tier wedding cake and Dr. Who Tardis Groom's cake, complete with flashing light to the reception hall for my former daughter-in-law and her new husband's wedding--which I started the planning for in November, when I also started the planning for making her wedding dress!! I work three part time jobs (that equal one full time, but spread out through each day) one of which is a bakery job.

We had one cake design planned, and both the wedding cake and the groom's cake changed sometime in early February, so I had to think it all over again!

I fit it all into my time and brought everything with me (to Florida!) the week before the wedding, made the cakes there and finished the fitting and sewing of the dress, too.

Am I just a little crazy? LOL--Yes, maybe, but it was a great wedding and I loved every minute of it.

There are pictures of it all on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=591133122

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 18

Go for it! I have three little kiddos and I home school the two older. My oldest just turned 8 and he's been a wizz at making plunger flowers and such for over a year now. He loves to help and I love the time with him. I don't know how old your oldest is but you may have some helping hands there in a year. I think the key to big orders is to plan ahead, schedule it all out and do what you can as far in advance as possible. Hope it all goes well and congratulations on the bun in the oven!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%