Icebox Cake - I'm Confused About What Exactly It Is

Baking By raxxy Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 4:00am by jason_kraft

raxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raxxy Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 6

I'm in Jamaica, I don't know if our version of icebox cake is different. But the icebox cake I'm familiar with is a white cake (maybe angel food), with whipped cream filling and fruit cocktail in the middle.
But I googled icebox just now, and I'm seeing something about layers of chocolate wafer cookies and whipped cream... I've never seen that in any bakery here.
So I'm just curious... what exactly is icebox, and what is the name of the white cake with fruit cocktail.
Thanks

5 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

It could be different all over. The one I grew up with in RI was layers of pudding and whipped cream and fruit. In NH it's layers of graham crackers and whipped cream that are chilled overnight so the crackers absorb the mosture from the cream. The cream ends up thicker and the crackers end up softer, so it ends up like a sliceable cake.

I've made a version that Ina Garten (the barefoot Contessa) does. It's done in a springform...several alternating layers of flavored mascarpone cheese and chocolate chip cookies...again, chilled overnight so the cookies get soft and the cheese gets firm.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39837298/ns/today-food/

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 6

My father-in-law used to make the icebox cake with the whipped cream and the chocolate wafer cookies. I have made a summer "trifle", which is cake (angel food or pound cake), whipped cream, pudding and strawberries. I guess it depends on where you are what the name refers to.

reninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reninja Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

Hi Raxxy. Did you ever find out the answer? I am taking a baking class in Jamaica and I am having the same confusion as my recipe for ice box bake is the same as yours but something totally different that everyone elses. I'd love to get some clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxxy

I'm in Jamaica, I don't know if our version of icebox cake is different. But the icebox cake I'm familiar with is a white cake (maybe angel food), with whipped cream filling and fruit cocktail in the middle.
But I googled icebox just now, and I'm seeing something about layers of chocolate wafer cookies and whipped cream... I've never seen that in any bakery here.
So I'm just curious... what exactly is icebox, and what is the name of the white cake with fruit cocktail.
Thanks

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:44am
post #5 of 6

My family version of icebox cake is layered vanilla wafer cookies, vanilla and chocolate pudding, bananas, whipped cream and lots of cherries on top

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:00am
post #6 of 6

Our family uses graham crackers, like this recipe:
http://busycooks.about.com/od/dessertrecipe1/r/grahamicebox.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%