Florida Cottage Food Act Now Is A Bill

Decorating By KrazyAboutCake Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm by chilz822

chocolatemint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatemint Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:10pm
post #91 of 115

If someone who lives say 50 miles away, calls and wants to order something with a longer shelf life, are we allowed to ship the item via UPS?
Also, since mail orders are illegal, are you still planning on mailing cupcakes to the Senate and House? It might not be a good idea even though the item wasn't ordered.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:48pm
post #92 of 115

I have read the bill and there is only ONE thing I am not clear on...thought someone may be able to help. I didn't want to bug Barbara, she has done enough and has answered enough questions!!!

IT says.....

"A cottage food operation may not sell or offer for sale cottage food products over the Internet, by mail order, or at wholesale."

I understand you can't sell on the internet, have a shopping cart, etc...got it.
BUT it says "OFFER"...to me that says I can't even have a website/facebook that says I sell cakes.
If that is what it means, than so be it, I'm just glad we can sell baked goods at all.......I would love to be wrong about it though!

I just tried to find the bill on the Governer's site (clicked on bill action and I don't see it now...)

chocolatemint Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:37pm
post #93 of 115

If we cannot ship UPS and do not sell items such as wedding cakes or cater larger events, our profits would be eaten up with the current gas prices.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:20pm
post #94 of 115

Chocolatemint....... I would tell them they can pick it up or charge for delivery. I charge delivery for anything over 10 miles, which where I'm located is everything lol.

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:46pm
post #95 of 115

I don't see this on the governor's website. I looked under "Bill Action". Does anyone know the status?

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #96 of 115

That is great. God bless you all for taking this on.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:04am
post #97 of 115

I can't find the actual bill either... can anyone help? I did a search and found an amendment but still can't locate the bill...

haymeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haymeli Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:28am
post #98 of 115

My concern is that in the bill it says we still have to abide with your local government regulations. What are does exactly and what happens if our local government has restaurant regulations, plus it mentions something about residential laws. Does the state law trumps the local government law? I am still confused. I just want to make sure I get everything right. Thank you everyone for the support and help.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:38am
post #99 of 115

Here is a link to the bill:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=_h7209er.docx&DocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=7209&Session=2011

The part we are interested in starts on line 784.

I received this from Barbara a few days ago:

"Just wanted to let you know the Cottage Food Bill CS/HB 7209 is still waiting for the Governor to Sign. I spoke with Teddi Creamer last week and she said it hasn't gone to his desk yet and once it does than he has 15 days to sign. The bill will be effective July 1st, so he has time. If you want to see when he signs the bill you can monitor it on his website and than on the left side column click on BILLS. "

I still don't see on his web site where the bill has been presented to him. HTH

chilz822 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:05am
post #100 of 115

beautiful, thank you!

chilz822 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm
post #101 of 115

Still not on his desk yet.... what is it they used to say about a watched pot never boiling?
lol

http://www.flgov.com/bill-action/

chocolatemint Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:02pm
post #102 of 115

Can anyone answer these...

1. Do we need a permit or license from the county
2. Will we be allowed to ship via UPS

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:41pm
post #103 of 115

any new word on this as of this week?

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:47pm
post #104 of 115

It appears it is being presented to the govenor today 6/13th:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/7209

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

chilz822 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:49am
post #105 of 115

sooooo excited! This is going to save me over $700/yer in permits and such as well as kitchen rental. C'mon Gov. Scott! icon_smile.gif

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:20am
post #106 of 115

This wait is driving me crazy. I have checked the governor's website a million times. I just emailed him, again, to ask him to sign it.

TinkerCakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #107 of 115

I know!. I emailed him too...and keep checking. Someone said (on the facebook page) he is in DC right now. UGH!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/FloridaCottageFoodLawUpdates

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:02am
post #108 of 115

Ahhhh the waiting game is not good icon_cry.gif please governor sign it we need this icon_wink.gif

And Thank You Barbara you are AWESOME, thumbs_up.gif God Bless you !

TinkerCakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #109 of 115

HE SIGNED IT!!!!!! CONGRATS FLORIDA HOME BAKERS!!!!!

TinkerCakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:35pm
post #110 of 115

and a HUGE "THANK YOU" to Barbara for all of her hard work!!! YAY!!!!!!

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:04pm
post #111 of 115

icon_eek.gif So its OFFICIAL icon_surprised.gif REALLY ? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif God Bless you all that worked on this, and a BIG BIG Thank you to Barbara thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif God Bless you !

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #112 of 115

Here is the link, page down to Page 26, Line 726 and read from that point.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/7209/BillText/er/PDF

Barbara

chilz822 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:45am
post #113 of 115

We still don't know all the 'rules' Dept of Ag will likely still mandate for those who want to operate under this bill. There's got to be more coming than just the money limit and internet sales. I'm permitted and licensed through the end of the year and will make a decision at that time whether to renew or join the home crews! Either way, this is great news for us all and none of us could thank you, and everyone who worked so hard to get this done, enough. Barbara, thank you.

Chinasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chinasam Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #114 of 115

icon_biggrin.gif First of all, thanks to Barbara for her hard work in keeping us informed about the status of the bill.
Now to the point: does anyone know or is it stated somewhere what the restrictions/regulations are for the home bakers as far as having pets in the home? I have not seen anything to this regard.
THanks.

chilz822 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #115 of 115

things like that, the 'rules of the game' I'm sure will come when the Dept of Ag finishes their portion. The bill is done, but there's still the last piece we're waiting for from them as far as all the fine details that affect us...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%