What Is Your Minimum Servings On Carved Cakes?

Business By Dreme Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 2:53am by classiccake

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

If you have one, what is your minimum servings on your carved cakes if you do them? I'm getting more and more request for carved and 3d cakes. A lot of my inquires have guest list that seem too small for a carved cake, like 10-25 guest. Would setting a limit to at least 50 servings be good?

I'm not really a carved or 3d cake person as that is just not my style or skill level. I'm very new to this. How do you even plan a servings for these types of cakes? What is a way to make this easier?

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

My minimum is 20 servings which for me is $5.00 base price per serving so my minimum is $100.00..I charge more for extras like dowels etc and go from there.Usually my 3D Cakes start at about $150.00...and I state on my website that I DO NOT make cakes for 10-15 people so if that is all they are having at the dinner they still will be paying for a 3D cake which feeds 20 or more...That's just the way it is...if they don't want to pay then they order something else.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Yep, our carved cakes start at $120 and serve no less than 20-30. We tell people that due to the design of most carved cakes, it doesn't work to make them smaller than that. It can be hard to figure out how many servings a carved cake serves, since you are cutting cake away. We usually just have to ballpark it based on the servings of the size cake we started with.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 5

I have a minimum of $150 and that's about 24 servings. But I'm not too concerned about the serving count as long as it's at least what they need. It's the time for those that's the main thing, and they always take longer than I think they will. The $150 minimum is only for designs that I've done before and are pretty easy to do quickly.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

You can set a minimum number of servings, but what I think is better is a minimum price. It takes just as any steps and often time to carve and decorate a small cake as it does a larger cake. If you say that 3-D carved cakes begin at $150.00, then it doesn't really matter if the cake serves 20 or 40. You will need to decide what point your prices will go above the $150.00 mark, but at least you have a base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%