Does Anyone Else Feel This Way??!

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm by allaboutcakeuk

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 11

I spend so much time creating cakes for people that they ask for or they give me colours they like or things people are into that I can seem to create a cake.. But lately when it comes to me having free reign I feel my ideas have dried up!

I have a selection of wedding dummy cakes to make and I can do whatever I like but I've had a total cake idea block! what do you all do when you feel this way - stay away from magazines and browsing the net? I worry I'll draw on too many ideas but I really have a block

icon_sad.gif

10 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:25am
post #2 of 11

My advice is to stop looking at cakes and look at another craft, have a change of scenery, take a walk if you're able, just clear your mind and stop thinking about what you want to do. This may open your mind to other ideas that you can then translate into making a cake.

Spring is coming which is usually the season of renewal. Are there any ideas you have wanted to try. What comes to your mind when you think of spring e.g. fresh, new, calmness, new love.

keriofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriofcakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:08am
post #3 of 11

I agree with myslady change of scenery. Let your subconscious take a crack at some ideas. Some of my best ideas popped up when I least expected it. Out doing grocery shopping or playing with my kids, then I would look at an object and it would hit me as an idea.

Even at night before I go to bed if I'm sweating over an idea (or any other problem unrelated) I'll think to myself, "I'm going to have a good night sleep and not worry about this, I'm going to assign my subconscious to think about this for the night". Usually in the morning I'll have an idea.

Or if I forget about it for a couple days I may limit myself to 30 min browsing the web for ideas then force myself to stop (otherwise I drown myself in ideas).

Good luck and have fun. I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:41am
post #4 of 11

I keep a "wish" list of cakes that I would like to do. If I get a request for a cake, I look at the pictures that I have saved in that file and then draw from there.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:25am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I keep a "wish" list of cakes that I would like to do. If I get a request for a cake, I look at the pictures that I have saved in that file and then draw from there.

thumbs_up.gif That's a great idea!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone this is great advice, i'm going to stop beating myself up about ideas. I have one cake in mind I want to have a go at so will concentrate on that and the idea of thinking of spring is great idea. spring colours are maybe the way to go too. I have loads of saved cake ideas I'm going to have a look through tonight - thank you!

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:22am
post #7 of 11

I look in my DD's colouring books, I did my Dad's Leprechaun cake from a pic in a book, sounds daft but it works.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes

I look in my DD's colouring books, I did my Dad's Leprechaun cake from a pic in a book, sounds daft but it works.

that's a fantastic idea! I may have a book shop browse now - thank you!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 11

I've been really inspired lately by fabric.

My competition cake was inspired by a piece of vintage looking fabric--I took the colors and the flowers from the fabric.

My last trip to the fabric store resulted in two more fun, funky florals that will make great spring or girly cakes. I'm basing the cake design for our St. Patrick's brunch off the floral tablerunner I'm using.

Kristy

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 11

You can get lots of ideas in the scrapbook section...have you seen all of those beautiful papers?
Go check out the 12x12's, I stand there and say, "Oh, that would make a pretty cake"! My kids just laugh at me. They always say I have cake brain.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

You can get lots of ideas in the scrapbook section...have you seen all of those beautiful papers?
Go check out the 12x12's, I stand there and say, "Oh, that would make a pretty cake"! My kids just laugh at me. They always say I have cake brain.

lol fab idea. I used to do that with wallpaper too!
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%